Third round of pictures

Dedicated to Trail Cam's
Wapiti
2 point
2 point

Post by Wapiti » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:42 pm

Thunder Head and AGCHAWK i learned alot about piebaldism i want to thank both of you.. :thumb :thumb
Last edited by Wapiti on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:43 pm

LOL....well Killer, for the most part the kudos go to Thunder Head on this one.

I pulled out one of my many books from my studies and sure enough, in less than 15 minutes, I found the answer.

Thunder Head, you pointed out one significant point that apparently had slipped my mind over the years. It is believed that it is a result of density dependant factors within the population that can lead to inbreeding. The traits I mentioned in my original post that are also associated with Piebald deer do occur at times....but not with all Piebald deer.

To expound just a bit, it does NOT have to come from inbreeding alone. If both buck and doe carry that recessive gene, a Piebald fawn can result...even if the mating pair are not related. From what I read, the other traits (Spine issues, shorter legs...and the shorter lower jaw that you mentioned in conjunction with Piebald) are the ones that come along with inbreeding.

Thanks again Thunder Head. I'm glad you jumped in.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:45 pm

No problem Wapiti! Like I stated before, I love this sort of stuff and do a lot of reading and studying on it (wildlife biology, natural resource management, etc)...but not enough for someone else to teach me a thing or two...LOL

johnyutah5
2 point
2 point

Post by johnyutah5 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:01 pm

Nice pictures. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks for the biology lesson. This forum sure has friendly way of sharing information.