How do you secure your trail cam?

Dedicated to Trail Cam's
DeadI

How do you secure your trail cam?

Post by DeadI » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:03 pm

I got a trail cam recently and am excited to place it somewhere this year. But I am just wondering how you guys secure them?

Thanks.
Deadi

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How do you secure your trail cam?

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:02 pm

I just use a 9" rubbermaid cord, with hooks on the end. Mine aren't really in areas where I'm to worried about them getting stolen. I make my own stands for them also.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:05 pm

MuleyMadness wrote:I just use a 9" rubbermaid cord, with hooks on the end. Mine aren't really in areas where I'm to worried about them getting stolen. I make my own stands for them also.
what are these stands you speak of??

9er
Watch your top knot!

Avs man
Spike
Spike

Post by Avs man » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:18 pm

I got a buddy that has 4-5 cameras and they are in areas where they could get stolen, He usually just puts them up to see the elk in the area before archery season starts and takes them down the weekend before season so not alot of people get a chance to steal them but theres still a chance, What he did was took it apart where its just the case, he puts on a padlock bracket and then on the inside he builds his own bracket to secure it to a tree he uses those special lug nuts to keep people from stealing your wheels hes had two stolen before he started doing this and now he hasnt lost any, He even caught two guys trying to steal them but were unsuccessful the cops didnt do too much just a vandalism ticket because they really didnt steal any thing kinda screwed up if you ask me. Hope this helps.
I spend Half my money on Huntin, The rest I just waste!

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:35 pm

Has anyone ever tried one of these?
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0027904416700a.shtml
Deadi

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:40 pm

or maybe this would be a little better
http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-REORT100LB
Deadi

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:46 am

DeadI,

I wouldn't get that carried away.

I'd go with a Master Lock Python Locking Cable.

Something like this...

Brett

http://www.buy.com/prod/master-lock-841 ... 91718.html

Walmart or local Hardware/Sporting Goods store should sell them. Or maybe Lowes, Home Depot?

MTredneck
Spike
Spike

Post by MTredneck » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:13 pm

out here in NC they'll take yer camera in a heartbeat, even if its locked they'll cut down the tree, so i started locking mine and put'n em on the biggest tree i can find(3-4ft in diameter) that stops em cold, cause they'll have to fire up a chainsaw and me or the neighboring landowners will hear that
keep her tween the ditches(rdneck for be safe)
you cant tell a rdneck what to do (coach Starnes)
"women stay at home, cook dinner, have our babies and bring me a beer when i holler for it" coach starnes again

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:51 pm

sad part about it is, no matter what you do if it's a theif that wants it , they'll get it :>/ when i put mine up on public land the first thing i do is i put it up on sunday night and pick it back up on friday night. that gets rid of the most of the weekend warriors. then i also put my cameras up about 20 feet in the tree facing down to get the pics. i take tree steps with me to do it. this way most people will never see it and if they did they would have to make a special trip back to take it. but then again i've never even had a pic of another person so if you take it a ways back off the beaten path you should be ok.

Tree Killer
2 point
2 point

Post by Tree Killer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:17 am

A friend of mine has made me boxes for my trailcams. I use big, heavy lag bolts to anchor the bow directly to a tree, then the lock is inside a side box that prevents a hacksaw or boltcutters from being used. But like it was said above, if some scumbag really wants to steal or vandalize your camera they will.

"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

"if you rattle, they will come"