Stolen game cam

Dedicated to Trail Cam's
sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: Stolen game cam

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:02 am

I am sorry to hear about your cam being stolen. When I was stationed in Yuma I had found the one and only small herd of muleys that was in the area. I would always go and scout them out and watch them. One day while I was there I was walking through a stand of trees that had been cut down and found someones cam on a fallen tree. I slid it off the tree and locked it up on a tree right at the trailhead. I left a note with my # on it so the owner could call so I could unlock it for them. I had a few calls from guys trying to get a free cam but they could't prove it was theirs so I left it. Man were they mad!!!! lol Finally the owner called me and put in his password and showed me the pics on it. He gave me $20 for doing it for him and it sure made me feel better knowing the true owner got it back.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

sharpstick
Fawn
Fawn

Post by sharpstick » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:45 am

Antlersoutwest,
Sorry to hear about the stolen game cam. I had a good friend text me two days ago and someone had taken his game camera too up Big Cottonwod Canyon. That's a total bummer because It's such a rush to place your camera in a good spot and anticipate seeing what pictures it captures. I'd like to have my turn with the low-life jerks who go around taking things that aren't theirs to take. Your welcome to use mine this year because I haven't had a chance to get out and set it up. If I hear anything about a stolen camera I'll be sure to let you know. Anyway, thanks for sharing the other pictures you took while out. It's so lush and beautiful this year out there!
Live simple so others can simply live

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Post by AntlersOutWest » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:34 pm

Phil-
I had a gentlemen call me the other day with a ksl add saying they found a game cam in the same location..
Heres his email cvdye@live.com
Im still trying to find a number for you.
Hope its your friends cam.. Good luck

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:44 am

AntlersOutWest - I went up to my spot in Big Cottonwood Canyon on Tuesday to get my camera and it was gone as well. I pretty much screwed up as I put it up without a chain thinking I would be right back the next week and didn't quite make it. I've been sick about it since then. I just emailed the person who found one so we'll see. But thanks a lot for the info.

It really fires me up that so many people have so little integrity!!! How can you just think that because you found it, it's now magically yours? They didn't have the same parents I had that's for sure. I'd have had my neck rung! :>/
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:15 am

Just the way it is,#1 they are expensive and can be sold,#2 its probablly somone that considers the area theirs and wants to run off other hunters,strap a $100 bill to a tree and see how long it sits there,thats about the same as leaving those expansive cams out.Im going to design a cam case that attaches to a tree with claymores,lets see em get that one!

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:45 pm

You could so like one of my buddies did here. Get one of those pulse electric fence pannels and run it up a tree. Run bare wires down and around the Cam with two bottle caps inbetween the tree and the cam. Then return and look and laugh at the pictures of people jumping when they touch the cam. lol ok ok so no one really did it but it would be funny to try. Unless you forgot about it...
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

ktowncamo
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ktowncamo » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:43 am

AntlersOutWest wrote: Ive had a few calls from guys saying they had the same happen and gave me some really good pointers on what they do to keep their cams safe. I really appreciated it.
Care to share those pointers? I went out yesterday with my hunting buddy and we set up two cameras - our first time doing so. While just like everyone else we think nobody will go to our spot, I suspect people may show up in that neck of the woods. Any tips/pointers would be appreciated.

Sorry to hijack this thread with my questions.
http://www.camofire.com - PULL THE TRIGGER!

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Post by AntlersOutWest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:03 am

Hello neighbor!

I haven’t set up any cams lately. I’ve been waiting to get some bear boxes made first.. Im not taking any more chances.

I would say defiantly spend a little money on a bear box (metal box that your camera fits inside) and paddle lock it to the tree. They also attach their cams to the tree about 20 feet up and pointing downwards. That was people are less likely to see the camera that high up.
I was going to say take the cams down before the weekend because of all the campers and hikers but mine was stolen in the middle of the week. So they are never safe
Also hide you cameras better. Last time I tried to disguise the camera with small pine branches. Tucked inside as far as I could.
Even if you think you’re in the middle of nowhere, there’s always someone out there with the same “secret spot” as you

I buy all my cameras from nativeoutdoors.com They have bear boxes and locking cables. (best prices ive found and good to work with)
Im going to build my own boxes, I can send you a few pictures if you like.

Good luck to you and cant wait to see your pictures!

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:19 am

sneekeepete wrote:You could so like one of my buddies did here. Get one of those pulse electric fence pannels and run it up a tree. Run bare wires down and around the Cam with two bottle caps inbetween the tree and the cam. Then return and look and laugh at the pictures of people jumping when they touch the cam. lol ok ok so no one really did it but it would be funny to try. Unless you forgot about it...
I'm Laughing out Loud. That would be incredibly funny. Please someone, post your scouting pics of others being shocked for touching your camera. The pics would be just as cool as a 30" buck or a 350+ bull. I like the line about not forgetting about your own booby trap lol

By the way, thats cool that you did the right thing in the first post you have on this thread.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:31 pm

Sorry to hear about you missing cam. I hope you find whoever took it and are able to get it back.

I have toyed with the idea of building my own cams and the idea has crossed my mind to install GPS locators in them for the very purpose of tracking them down if they do get stolen. However that idea fell through after looking at the price tags of some of these locators ($250+). It seems to me that by simply placing an authentic looking sticker on your trailcam warning that the unit is being monitored and tracked via GPS, should be enough to make any would-be thief think twice about removing your trailam. That and using a chain or cable and padlock cant hurt either.