Stolen game cam

Dedicated to Trail Cam's
Kemo Sabe
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Stolen game cam

Post by Kemo Sabe » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:50 am

Just a thought - there are USFS regulations involving the use of trail cams as well as tree stands and those regulations are inconsistently enforced. (Depends on the attitude of the ranger in that district.) But in some cases, the "thief" may well be a forest ranger. As I recall, if such equipment is in violation, it legally becomes "litter".

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:57 pm

Kemo Sabe wrote:Just a thought - there are USFS regulations involving the use of trail cams as well as tree stands and those regulations are inconsistently enforced. (Depends on the attitude of the ranger in that district.) But in some cases, the "thief" may well be a forest ranger. As I recall, if such equipment is in violation, it legally becomes "litter".
I had no clue! Where can you find out about the regualtions?
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!

Kemo Sabe
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Kemo Sabe » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:46 pm

nuttinbutchunks wrote:I had no clue! Where can you find out about the regualtions?
Code of Federal Regulations and orders issued by the particular ranger district in which you hunt. I don't use treestands or trail cams, so I haven't kept close tabs on the regs. But I do know of at least one district with a shed full of "abandoned" tree stands and trail cameras.

Here's a good article on treestands - some of the info could easily be applied to trail cams as well:

http://www.backcountry-magazine.com/Bow ... stands.pdf

Bottom line: If I was going to leave a couple hundred dollars worth of equipment out there, especially long term, I'd check with the district office to see what they have to say about it first. Gotta remember that some districts are very pro-hunter; others not so much. Besides, if you're cool with their regs, who is more likely to recover property stolen on USFS lands?