What is the best camera for the best price?

Dedicated to Trail Cam's
RHunter
Fawn
Fawn

What is the best camera for the best price?

Post by RHunter » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:49 am

I have been looking to get some tree cams, but I dont have tuns of money to spend, but I would like ot get a couple so I can have some eyes in the forest, what is the best value for the money you spend. I have been looking at a lot of pictures some are good pics, some are bad so I if anyone can offer up a good brand I would appreciate it.

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Re: What is the best camera for the best price?

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:49 pm

I don't know what your budget is, but I have three Moultrie D40s, and a Wildview Extreme 5 Mp camara. The Moultries are the most user friendly, and work the best. They use 6 D cell batteries, while the Wildview uses 4 C cells, so they don't last as longer. They both use SD memory cards, and I put 1 Gig cards in them.

The Moultries a a bit grainey at night, but some of them come out pretty darn good. Cost for the Moultries is $99, but I got two on sale at MidwayUSA for $67 and another for $79 at Cabelas. The Wildviews are about $119. This has become a mini hobby, as you never know what you will bet pictures of. It's kinda like Christmas. lol
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!

SHANE(WA)
Spike
Spike

Post by SHANE(WA) » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:50 am

i had some of the cheap $100 moultries, I got some wildview 2.0 as a gift, thouroughly impressed, battery life is amazing compared to the moultrie, $130 for a 2 pack at Cabelas

Terdog
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Terdog » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:56 pm

The Cuddeback Capture is a heck of a Camera- Great Quality and long Battery life.
Takes SD Cards. I just bought my second one for $185 on E-Bay included shipping.

Another great camera that is overlooked is the Stealth Cam I590, just pick one up
on E-bay for $112 including shipping.

If you don't get a decent one you will regret it, I know I tried the low end stuff
first and moved up.

TWS
Mathews Switchback-Easton Arrows-Muzzies!
Winchester Rifles
Pentax SLR-Tamron Lens
Cuddeback-Gets the shots that others don't

Tree Killer
2 point
2 point

Post by Tree Killer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:51 pm

Terdog wrote:The Cuddeback Capture is a heck of a Camera- Great Quality and long Battery life.
Takes SD Cards. I just bought my second one for $185 on E-Bay included shipping.

Another great camera that is overlooked is the Stealth Cam I590, just pick one up
on E-bay for $112 including shipping.

If you don't get a decent one you will regret it, I know I tried the low end stuff
first and moved up.

TWS
I agree with what Tdog said about the Capture. Earlier this summer I set mine up with 50% batteries to see how long they'd last. In 5 days it took 1534 pics (many at night using flash), so I switched out the card and left the batteries in it, but switched to a 1 minute delay instead of the 30 sec. Another 5 days go by and I got another 672 pics and the batteries were still cranking along!

I can't say bad things about any of the other cameras because I haven't owned them. @ other cameras that friends have and are getting good results are the Scoutguard and the new Bushnell Trophy Cam (which is made by Scoutguard). They're both over $200 I believe and both are IR units instead of flash.
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

"if you rattle, they will come"

CodeRED
3 point
3 point

Post by CodeRED » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:01 pm

My friend bought 2 Stealthcam's and they take AWESOME pics day OR night. He spent about $180 each for them (I think they are the "Rouge IR" model), they display the time, date, temp & moonphaze on all your pics too. Kinda pricey but I think theyre worth it, im gonna invest in some myself next year.
"Mathews DXT @ 62lbs, G5 Optix XR, Shaffer rest, Fuse Carbon Connexion stabilizer and G5 Montec CS's in front of GoldTip Prohunter 5575's = More meat in my Freezer"
-Cody-

rezstyle
Spike
Spike

Post by rezstyle » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:02 pm

I'm still under the impression the cheaper the better. Take a look at some of my posts from last year and I'll post a few new ones I got this year. I use a 1.0 megapixel wildview. I wanna say I bought 2 refurbished for around $70. The key to great pictures is location and angles. I have yet to see pictures that I think to myself "dang, those are so much more greater than the ones I'm getting, I better go buy a ....."

Some cameras let you know moon phases, temperature, dates, etc. etc. etc. I'd like to think I"m a good enough hunter not to need all that stuff. If I really wanted to know all that stuff, I'd simply guesstimate it based upon my knowledge of the area. Nobody I know is framing these pictures to put on the wall, they simply want to know what's there. Any trail cam, placed right at the right location is going to tell you what's there.

Thunder Head
Spike
Spike

Post by Thunder Head » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:36 am

Certinly depends on what your looking for in a camera.
I like the Scoutguard 550. They are very small and light wieght. Take IR picures at night. Can take videos. And 8 AA batterys last me 6 moths or more.
You can get them for 200 to 230.

Have bow will travel !!!