Lion tammer pictures

Fishing, Sunsets, Outdoors, Birds, etc.
DeadI

Lion tammer pictures

Post by DeadI » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:29 pm

Thought you guys might like to see these.

This is my wifes Grandpa that lives in So. Utah. When yunger he would go out and tree cougars for the goverment, when he found young ones he would raise them and sell them to circuses and zoos. And sometimes he would raise them for a family pet. I believe this ones name is sheba.

When he treed one he would climb up inthe tree, throw a rope around the head, have someone hold the rope and keeps its attention on something else while he would grab the tail then stick it with a tranquilizer shot, he did not like to shoot them with a dart gun, he said that he could not rely on that. If he gave them a shot then he new for sure that they were geting the dose in the the right spot. Enjoy.
Deadi

Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Post by Don Fischer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:48 pm

What I like to do is climb the tree and put a nice collar and lead on them. Then when I get them on the ground their already used to the lead and walk nicely. :what-do-u-think

I tried it with Grizzly Bears but found that the nylon collar's I used chaffed their neck. Waiting to get some nice satin collars that are not so hard on them. -%

I'm frankly quite suprized he lived long enough to become a dad let alone a grand dad. The good part I guess is when he say's "kid's, time for bed" no one argues! :1

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:24 pm

DeadI

That is absolutely NUTS! Crazy, you serious. Those pictures are way cool, but they really did do this huh?

And if they couldn't rope them, then what? And that top one looks young, but not to young. Still big enough to rip a serious hole.

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:17 pm

thats awesome!
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:48 pm

Man, to each his own but I'd find a "less deadly" line of work...LOL

Great story and awesome pics though....THANKS!

zatarain6
3 point
3 point

Post by zatarain6 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:41 am

that is wild ! when i was younger i remember my grandpa telling me stories of him and some of my other relatives of chasing bears on horses and roping them when they were on cattle drives , but nothing like that .

elkslayer338
Spike
Spike

Post by elkslayer338 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:58 am

sweet great pics! you should do a bio or blog about him. =D> =D> =D>
Be the Buck

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:29 pm

Thats freakin awesome! I've heard about these guys and would love to know what on earth was going through there heads!! I guess it was just a different time, haha.

There's a book i'm borrowing from a buddy called "BRAVE" (and other stories) By: Steve M. Mathews.
Haven't gotten to this part yet but I had to glance through it shortly once I saw the pics, he has a chapter all about his "pet" cougar he raised and tamed. He'd take it on car rides and all sorts of crazy stuff. I'm really pretty excited to get to that chapter, haha.

Anyways, I guess that sorta stuff really did use to happen - I sometimes wish I were crazy enough to try somethin like that but NOT A CHANCE is it ever gonna happen, haha.. I'd get myself killed. dont know how they did it!

Great pics DeadI and thanks for sharing! I've heard there's some sorta old old video tape runnin around someone has in S. Utah of when someone did this (supposedly it wasn't extremely uncommon back in the day to catch/sell bears and lions) but a video that someone has in S. Utah of how they did it at the tree - shows them accualy do it back then. Not sure how true that is as I never been lucky enough to see it - but you're my closest link so look around for me :)

catdogs
Spike
Spike

Post by catdogs » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:40 pm

That is way cool!

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:20 pm

thats freakin insane!!!!!!!!! but i wouldn't use a rope i'd just put them in a head lock!!! ](*,) :))