gps to usb?

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
amp713
2 point
2 point

gps to usb?

Post by amp713 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:09 pm

So i have an older Garmin Etrex and the cable i have works for the old computers, Im not a big computer guy so i dont know how to explain it other than its big kinds square and has a screw on each side? Problem is the computer i have the topo map on only has usb ports! Garmin has an adapter but its expensive! If i could find just a no name adapter that fits will it work? has anyone tried it?
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

jerseyelknut
Spike
Spike

Re: gps to usb?

Post by jerseyelknut » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:18 pm

I would check out Staples. They have a bunch of different adapters.

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:44 pm

I think what you are talking about is a serial port, and you can buy adapters on ebay for them, i believe you need a 9 pin to USB adapter. I had the same problem and had to get an adapter for mine. Count the little brass pins on yours just to make sure.
Deadi

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:41 am

DeadI wrote:I think what you are talking about is a serial port, and you can buy adapters on ebay for them, i believe you need a 9 pin to USB adapter. I had the same problem and had to get an adapter for mine. Count the little brass pins on yours just to make sure.
did you get the garmin one? or did you just buy a regular brand adapter?
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:04 pm

I bought some no name brand and it did not work, i think it was the cord it self, because I bought another no name brand and it worked. so after buying two chords it would not have been much more to buy the garmin chord, but maybe it was just my luck, you may get one that works the first time.
Deadi

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:59 pm

Try radio shack I've had really good luck finding off brand and adapter stuff there.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae