Military surplus ALICE packs

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Military surplus ALICE packs

Post by wingmaster36 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:31 am

Does anyone use these for hunting and packing in for overnighters?
"The things that are over my head are under God's feet." Adrian Rogers

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: Military surplus ALICE packs

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:53 am

Oh the Good ol Alice Pack! I have used mine on a couple overnight fishing trips and some scouting. It works ok but no where near as well as the new packs that are out. I haven't used it for about 5 years now. They are extremely rugged and stout but don't carry weight nearly as well as the new stuff.
I'll admit I am biased and every time I see one it makes me uncomfortable because of the past I have had with them. i can't say anything bad about how well they are made and built though.
Are you looking at just the rucksack or the whole thing frame and all?
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Post by wingmaster36 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:29 am

sneekeepete wrote:Oh the Good ol Alice Pack! I have used mine on a couple overnight fishing trips and some scouting. It works ok but no where near as well as the new packs that are out. I haven't used it for about 5 years now. They are extremely rugged and stout but don't carry weight nearly as well as the new stuff.
I'll admit I am biased and every time I see one it makes me uncomfortable because of the past I have had with them. i can't say anything bad about how well they are made and built though.
Are you looking at just the rucksack or the whole thing frame and all?
Sneekee,

I'm looking at the whole thing frame and all. They look stout and for $30-$35 seem to be a bargain. I don't have $200.00 for a nice pack and need something a little more substancial than my "school boy pack"

Wyatt

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:58 pm

That is a good deal then. With the frame you can pack lots of weight if needed. Like I said they aren't as comfortable as some of the new ones but get what you can afford.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:41 am

I missed this post so I may be too late to give any useful input, but I have the Molle II pack, that I have used for a couple of years and I would tell you for the $45 dollars that I spent, it is far and away the toughest most useful pack that I have ever used. They are designed for 120# capacity which is about twice what I would ever carry, until you have meat to haul. :thumb
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Post by wingmaster36 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:30 am

Thanks guys,

I have seen the Molle's for $49.95 and was wondering about them. I did not know that they would haul that kind of load. I don't think that I would ever have anything more than 50# unless I was packing out a quarter.

Wyatt