Spotting Scope/Binos

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
Sniper1
Spike
Spike

Re: Spotting Scope/Binos

Post by Sniper1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:30 am

Thanks guys. I was a little surprised as most of you say binos all the way before a spotting scope. WE had late dutton tags last year and didnt have a spotting scope ](*,) . Alot of the elk we seen were to far to tell the caliper of bull with the binos we had. We ended up doing ok though. WE got two tags again for the same hunt which is why i brought this question up.
Aim Small Miss Small

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:38 pm

Sniper1 wrote:Thanks guys. I was a little surprised as most of you say binos all the way before a spotting scope. WE had late dutton tags last year and didnt have a spotting scope ](*,) . Alot of the elk we seen were to far to tell the caliper of bull with the binos we had. We ended up doing ok though. WE got two tags again for the same hunt which is why i brought this question up.
That is why i would take a scope before binos also!!! In my experience i use the spotting scope on 95% of the animals i look at, about the only time i dont use the spotting scope is when the animal is within bow range

Now, how about some pics of your bulls from last year?

9er
Watch your top knot!

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:41 am

What you get depends how you are hunting. If you are out by yourself and are activly huntinh Then I would say binos all the way. But if you have somebody there to be dedicated to just the spotting scope hauling it and setting it up then they will be better to have than binos. It also depends on how open the terrain is. It sounds like you are trying to see a long ways on a rifle hunt. In that situation I would lean towards a spotting scope.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

Sniper1
Spike
Spike

Post by Sniper1 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:00 am

9er,
I will work on the pics of bulls when i get home. Im a little computer illiterate so it may take me awhile i believe i just got to re size the pics. We got two bulls one scored right at 350 with deductions and the other was never scored but looks to be around a 330 frame or so.
Aim Small Miss Small

sewing
Spike
Spike

Post by sewing » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:57 pm

Great free program for manipulating images.
http://www.irfanview.com/

Question is a tough one for me. I just use the bino's to see if there's an animal and ALWAYS the scope comes out. Neither of mine are great though.

jarheadhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jarheadhunter » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:48 pm

I agree even though I did the opposite. I had some cabelas Euros that I thought were awsome so I went and purchased a Swarovski spotter. Oh well its been two years and I just traded my Euro's in on the new Swarovisions. I would give both a 10sign: . I should of got the bino's first since I use them about 10x more than the spotter. With good bino's most the time I don't need the spotter unless they are really out there or I am being really picky ](*,) .
jarhead

I'd rather be hunting!