what boots do you wear for high country hunting?

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
mmwb
Fawn
Fawn

Re: what boots do you wear for high country hunting?

Post by mmwb » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:22 pm

Vasques.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:05 am

Schnee's Hunter II for late season and Danner Grouse Hunter for early.

WannabeBowHunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by WannabeBowHunter » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:40 pm

I've got a pair of uninsulated Danner Pronghorns that I've used for the last two seasons. They keep my feet warm. If it gets cold outside, I just put on a little bit thicker sock. I haven't had any problems with them.

JimmyB
Spike
Spike

Post by JimmyB » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:55 pm

I got 1000gr Irish Setter Grizzly Trackers and Danner Pronghorns and love both. The Danners keep my feet more dry which keeps my toes from freezing after sitting down in late afternoon after hiking for a long time. And IMO the Grizzly Trackers are the most comfortable hiking/hunting boot I've ever owned (Hiking steep snow covered mountains in N. Utah). The Danners took a couple times to break in to be real comfortable. First time I put the Grizzly Trackers on they were unbelieveably comfortable
Shooter McGavin

Jessedr
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Jessedr » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:22 am

I have a pair of L.L.Bean and their a good field boot.
SERVED- U.S. MARINES, U.S. ARMY, U.S. NAVY. Az. and Tx. NATIONAL GUARD.

jcjk
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jcjk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:59 pm

Lowa Tibet Pro GTX. Second pair of Lowa's I've owned... Felt so confident in them, that i got them in the mail on Wed and was on a 15 mile hike through the Ozark Nat Forest on Friday.. Not one blister..feet felt great

TheHardWay
2 point
2 point

Post by TheHardWay » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:07 am

Lowa Sheep Hunters, the best boot I have ever worn hands down. Stiff and supportive enough for traversing scree fields, yet flexible enough to not fatigue your feet. Heck, I even wear mine for spring turkey hunting. Spendy? You bet! But worth every penny for hunting in the high country as far as I am concerned. I am into my 5th season using these boots and they don't show any signs or wear, and are still as comfortable as the day I bought them.
As the person mentioned about the Tibets, you put them on and can hunt with them right out of the box without fear of blisters. One thing I did do however was toss the insoles that came with them as they are junk, and put in a pair aftermarket insoles. They are similar to the SuperFeet brand, but I can't remember who makes them.

MNHunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MNHunter » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:50 am

I have been wearing a pair of unisulated Danner Pronghorns since 2005 and they are on their last legs, They have been a great boot for me.

I think buying boots is kind of like buying running shoes, just because they are expensive doesn't mean they will fit your foot properly. I am going to be replacing my Danner's this year and I am just going to attempt to try on all the boots poeple have listed here, and see which fits best.

I am also intrigued by the Lathrop and Sons boots. I have to think that a boot that is custom fitted to me is goign to be the best option.

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:54 pm

I've been wearing these boots for 7 years, and they still look like new. Seriously. Best boots i've ever owned. Never cold or wet feet, and they needed no break in.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear ... t104841180
Keep your nose in the wind.