4 wheeler?

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
maintguy47
3 point
3 point

4 wheeler?

Post by maintguy47 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:33 pm

I was wandering what preventive measures you might use if going to be out a week in winter weather on your four wheeler . Like fuel preservetives, any additives you might put in the oil, things like that. I don't expect it to get above freezing day or night. Will the brake fluid freeze ? Any input would help. First mid winter hunt. It's air cooled by the way. Thanks.

amp713
2 point
2 point

Re: 4 wheeler?

Post by amp713 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:39 pm

most fourwheelers are the same as cars nowadays. Do not run 91 octane gas as it burns colder and will be hard to start in the winter. with air cooled you dont have to worry about antifreeze which would be the biggest concern. dot 3 fluid is good for relatively cold weather. if your fourwheeler fluid freezes i would not want to drive your truck off the mountain very fast... [-o<
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

jarheadhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jarheadhunter » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:25 pm

If your wheeler has high compression then I would suggest using high octane. If it is not then as he stated in the post above it will be harder to start with higher octane.

The higher the octane, the more resistant the fuel is to being ignited.

The more the air/fuel mixture is compressed, the easier it ignites, meaning, if compressed enough, even a hot piece of carbon in the head can set it off. Thus, as you increase the motor's compression, you need to offset it with higher octane.

If a motor isn't a high compression one, but you use high octane fuel, that fuel in essence takes longer to burn, which in turn basically acts to retard the timing. Once you do that, you actually make your machine run worse and you'll slow it down.

As for the oil and brake fluid if your not going to be that cold I would say your good.
jarhead

I'd rather be hunting!

bengentry
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bengentry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:20 am

You definitely do not have to worry about the coolant and oil freezing. I live in Minnesota and I drive my car in down to -20 degrees F and with no problems. Modern engine fluids and oils are formulated for all types of operating condtions.

bo130
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bo130 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:24 pm

I wouldn't worry about fluids freezing or anything. the only thing I would suggest would be a cover. they are pretty inexpensive and it is just nice to keep any moisture off the controls, not to mention it nice not to have dew or frost all over it in the morning (keeps your bum dry). We have left ours outdoors fairly often on hunting trips with and with out a cover in the winter and it seems to start fine either way but recently had a cable rust and get sticky.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:27 pm

Be careful in the monrning. A few years back we got up before daylight to head out on the wheelers. It was a very cold night. (somewhere below zero). The wheelers started fine but when me and my brother in law sat on the seats the vinyl seat covers shattered. I would suggest covering them overnight.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."