Best high country boots?

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
tibbshooter
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Best high country boots?

Post by tibbshooter » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:02 pm

I have a a pair of Zamberlans and by far the best I've bought so far. I started with pronghorns... absolutely fell apart within one season and no support what so ever! Bought a pair of kenetreks, tough break in, and after 30 or so miles i had blisters the size of a fist on the back of my feet.... Zamberlans Viaz have decent support, great grip, and last. I'm entering my 3rd season with the same pair, the only thing you need to be sure of is to make sure and oil them after each hunt, the leather on them likes to dry out. I've heard great things about lathrop and sons also.

Madhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Madhunter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:17 pm

I'm a firm believer in Kenetreks. Expensive, but worth every penny in my book. I've had other brand mountain boots, but these have performed the best for me. I've worn them sheep hunting, Muley hunting, even sitting in the deer stand all day. Warm, comfortable, and tough.

JimmyB
Spike
Spike

Post by JimmyB » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:52 pm

I have a pair of Irish Setter Grizzly Trackers 1000g insulate and Danner Pronghorns 400g. Love both boots both are extremely comfortable and very durable. For me the Irish Setter was most comfortable out of the box. I was elk hunting in Montana back in November and it was -26 the first day and -15 the second day then around 2 deg the last 3 days lol. I was wearing the Irish Setters since they're more insulated and my feet were warm, dry and comfortable the entire time. Sadly the rest of my body couldn't handle that kind of cold as well. If you're going to get an insulated boot, don't just go with the warmest or most insulated boot. That's the mistake I made when I bought the Irish Setters. When it's good weather during the elk hunt here in Utah (Not a blizzard, stays above or close to 32 deg) My feet would freeze to death from sweating while hiking into my morning spot then sitting still for hours at a time. Now with the Danner boots that are 400g they work just perfect for me in "normal" cold conditions. Not North Pole death cold temps like Montana haha
Shooter McGavin