spotting scope question... need help.

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
bmaxxx
Fawn
Fawn

spotting scope question... need help.

Post by bmaxxx » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:31 pm

I'm looking at purchasing a spotting scope in the near future and wanted to ask for pro's/con's and just general opinions. I've narrowed my field down to Nikon EDIII fieldscope 60mm 20X-60X and Nikon ED50 15X30. The application would primarily be for backpack hunting high country mule deer. So right out the gate this is where my concern is: the EDIII weighs twice as much, is bulkier, and sports a heftier price tag. Is the larger objective and more powerful zoom worth the initial con's? Please feel free to give your opinion/elaborate/share you experience. Thanks in advance. R/bryan

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Re: spotting scope question... need help.

Post by derekp1999 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:58 pm

I would prefer the lower power. I tend hunt terrain with some thicker aspens & pines and not a lot of open spaces. Lower power would work better for my particular application. But, if you're into the apline bowls and basins where it's considerably more open I could see where greater magnification would be great to have. I guess it depends on what types of areas you'll be hunting.
I have a 25x-75x and RARELY ever take it off 25x and I'd love to have the fexibility to go below that because of the thicker country I frequent.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

timberbuck
Fawn
Fawn

Post by timberbuck » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:48 am

I would go with the biggest objective spotting scope you can still backpack. The advantage is greater brightness and resolution at any power. I use a Pentax pf 65 ED2. Another option is the 65mm Vortex Viper HD.

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:02 pm

Just my opinion but I would stay as light as possible. As the scope gets heavier they are less likely to be in your pack when you really need it.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.