Light, light gathering compact binos?

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
Tenguns
Fawn
Fawn

Light, light gathering compact binos?

Post by Tenguns » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:28 am

Looking at new lighter binos without giving up on quality...

Leave for a whitetail hunt in about a week so down to the wire and can't really compare due to local availability.

Primarily for bowhunting out west & N-eastern whitetails - want to lighten the load on the neck and scale down on size without loosing the light-gathering capability. Light weight, light gathering with the clearest resolution I can afford. Seems like those features don't necessarily come together. Lieca' and SW all look heavy.

Currently have a pair of Bushnell Legends. Good glass for the money at the time but after too many hours looking for something easier on the neck. Also - a bit less bulky.

Must be water-proof, super clear, with good light gathering and somewhat tough. Only have looked through the Pentax but in a 10x40. Very clear for the money.

So - from my narrowed down list - what's do you think is best for clarity and light gathering.... realize we're talking about small objectives...
Zeiss Conquest 10x30s
Zeiss Victory FLs 10x30s
Leopold Katmai 10x32s
Pentax DCF XP Binoculars 10x33s
Minox??

In a light weight bino - under 20 oz.. with decent glass this is the lineup. Just want to get the best for the money and keep the weight down? Looked at the Stieners too...on line - but not much feedback on clarity, quality- durability... and their not that light either..

Who makes the best light compact out of these? Any help appreciated.

Second - anyone have experience with the Conquest 12x45s for the long-ranger version? Seem light - and assume that's thinner objectives or something- but what are you loosing relative to the high dollar big three?... Again - even here - I'm likely to hike in with them at some point and need a single bino with reach, WP, not too heavy & want best quality glass I can afford that will put up with my relative abuse?

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:49 am

I'll be honest I don't have the answer to your question, but I hope someone does because I've been thinking the same thing lately.

I need a new pair of lightweight, smaller binos, with good glass.

Haven't done my homework yet like you. And won't be abe to before you leave hunting.

I currently have a pair of Minolta 10x50's and like them, glass it good enough for me. But the weight and bulk is not so good.

Someone else suggested a pair of Kahles 10x42, and said they loved them.

Good luck!

COOPERD
Spike
Spike

Post by COOPERD » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:34 pm

It was me dude!! COOP, I love these binos, they are great, but I also use a set of CrookedHorn straps. They are worth the money

Brandon
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Brandon » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:55 pm

I'm sure you've made your decision by now but I have to put my two cents in..

Just yesterday I went to Calela's to look for a new pair of bino's.. After looking at all the more expensive brands the salesman hands me a pair of Nikon Monarchs in 10x42 I believe...

I must say I was super impressed with these.. Do yourself a favor and check them out.. IMO they out class many in the $1,000 dollar range...

For around $299 you can't beat the glass.. Not to mention the warranty they come with.. Nikon will basically replace them due to anything and I mean anything..