THE Best Spotting Scope...Not Best Value??

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
182BC...4Now!
2 point
2 point

THE Best Spotting Scope...Not Best Value??

Post by 182BC...4Now! » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:22 pm

Alright guys, I suspect everyone will probably give a different answer ( :) ), but I've been researching spotting scopes, reading reviews, and browsing forums trying to get a feel for what THE BEST spotting scope is. I'm not looking for the best 'value', strictly the best scope. Say $3000 fell out of the sky and hit you on the head....what do you buy?...and let's keep the focus on spotting scopes here. :)

Things I would consider most important....but you don't necessarily have to agree...
1. Clarity/Contrast
2. Low light performance
3. Ability to use full zoom of scope and still be clear

The number one purpose is to identify deer and accurately judge them from long distances. I'm not really concerned with taking photographs through the scope. The scope will be used on a vehicle and on backpack hunts if that concerns you.

If you have the money, do you get the HD? Do you go with the 80mm? Angled, straight? You don't necessarily have to answer all of these questions, just curious to see what you guys think.

September can't get here fast enough!!!

TheGreatwhitehunter

Re: THE Best Spotting Scope...Not Best Value??

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:39 am

Swarovksi STS 65MM, have the 80 mm myself and wish I bought the 65mm I really like the straight as I could not get used to the angled, lots of guys swear by the angled though.

They came out with a new wide angled eyepiece also which is supposed to make the best spotter on the market even better.

I would not bother with the HD model unless you plan on taking pictures.

Swarovski also came out with a new lighter weight model this year called the ATM in angled or straight combined witht here new wide angled eyepiece it is supposed to be the best out there.

Do not look past Lecica as they make a great spotter and also the New Vortex Razor spotting scope is quite impressive for the money.

http://cameralandny1.reachlocal.net/

NOW if youre talking 3000 I would just buy the big Doctors binos which is two spotters put together to create a vey high powered glassing setup you will not be sorry if you did purchase them

I were in your shoes I would buy the Big Doctor's 20-50x80 binos. Then you can leave your spotting scope home. Best big glass out there.

You can get them here

http://www.eurooptic.com/Docter-Optic/D ... arent=XXDO
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

zrider2
Spike
Spike

Post by zrider2 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:14 pm

I like anything from Vortex, way nice people too!
Athens Archery Field Staff
Athens Accomplice 34
Vortex Diamondbacks

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:27 pm

182BC...4Now! wrote: I'm not looking for the best 'value', strictly the best scope. Say $3000 fell out of the sky and hit you on the head....what do you buy?...and let's keep the focus on spotting scopes here. :)

swaro or leica!!!! no questions asked

i have heard really good things about the new KOWA scopes, but have yet to look through one, something else to consider :))

9er
Watch your top knot!

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:07 pm

Swaro for me,By far the clearest I have ever used :thumb

182BC...4Now!
2 point
2 point

Post by 182BC...4Now! » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm partial to Swarovski too, as I own a pair of 10x42 EL's and think they are awesome! I didn't want to be too biased in my research because of this, so I figured the more feedback I can get, the better off I'll be. I've looked through some Leica binos before, and although they were very nice, I still thought the swaros were a little better, but never had the chance to compare spotters.

sheephunter
Spike
Spike

Post by sheephunter » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:56 pm

I have the Swarovski ST65 with angled eyepiece...sometimes I wish I had gotten the straight eyepiece though.

iliveinthewoods
Spike
Spike

Post by iliveinthewoods » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:17 pm

Everyone is going to say Swaro, or Leica, but do your own research when you buy them. That is the best advice I can say. If money is not a object which is what it sounds like than I would Get the HD glass in whatever i get, it does make a difference in super low light and when using it as a camera lense. I pick either Zeiss or the new vortex razor. The Zeiss 85 TFL. It has a little bigger objective so you can pull more light in. Also, the glass comes from the same place as Swaro, and Leica. So there is not a difference in the glass itself. Plus the finish pretty sweet. The Vortex on the other hand is sweet cuz of the finish, and i looked through one the other day and was very very impressed. It also has an 85mm objective too... But do your own studying and just go look through them all... It is a big investment and can help you sooo much in the field.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hoyt Katera XL
Fuse Acculaunch
Fuse Satori
Fuse Sidekick
Spott Hogg Hogg-it
G5 Matreo Strings
Beaman ICS Hunter Elite
G5 Tekan
"I thought I could shoot, til i saw a shooter..."

fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Post by fatrooster » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:00 am

Swarovski or Lieca or Kowa with my pick being Swaro. Swarovski seems to honor thier warranty better than Lieca and has more attachments, eye pieces and digiscoping friendly adapters. Lieca quality is just as good and maybe even better but Swaro has more going for them with the other stuff that I mentioned. Kowa is great quality but I don't know enough about them to comment accurately. I currently owne the Swarovski 20x60x80 ATS spotter in non HD but plan on selling it and getting the 65mm HD ATM because I backpack hunt and take pictures through the scope. The smaller size will cut down on weight. In my opinion angled is the only way to go. Goodluck. fatrooster.

182BC...4Now!
2 point
2 point

Post by 182BC...4Now! » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback fatrooster. I think I've decided on the swaro, now it's just determining which model....too many dang choices! I guess that's a good thing though....can't wait to see some pics from your digiscoping set up!