Big Order... Vortex

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
iliveinthewoods
Spike
Spike

Big Order... Vortex

Post by iliveinthewoods » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:37 pm

So, I am about to make a big order from vortex... New spotting scope, 2 Bino's, A tripod and head...
So my question is, has anyone had any experience with their tripods? What do you know about their head's too? Do you like them? Hate them? Recommend something else?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hoyt Katera XL
Fuse Acculaunch
Fuse Satori
Fuse Sidekick
Spott Hogg Hogg-it
G5 Matreo Strings
Beaman ICS Hunter Elite
G5 Tekan
"I thought I could shoot, til i saw a shooter..."

9er
Monster
Monster

Re: Big Order... Vortex

Post by 9er » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:47 am

i have 2 of the tripods, so far they have treated me well!! The high country is quite a bit lighter than the others, so if your gonna be packing in, i would lean towards a high country!!

i like the head on the high country alot, easy to use, smooth etc what kind of glass ya picking up??

9er
Watch your top knot!

Bowhuntrben
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Bowhuntrben » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:21 pm

I just ordered and received the vortex skyline ed. I tested it out on the tripod I have at home (cheap one), and it is very wobbly. Is the high country a pretty stable tripod, and is it easy to glass with? I got the camera adapter too, so would I be able to attach and detach this fairly easily without disturbing the location of the object I'm looking at with the scope? If not, what tripod would you recommend?

heshen
2 point
2 point

Post by heshen » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:27 pm

I would reccomned a bogen or manfrotto as they are more commonly known. Alot of manufactures have them build the same tripod and then stick their logo on it and charge a few more bucks for it. Manfroto is the top of the line tripod. I have a few of them, but my favorite is the crabon fiber leg ones. They make it really light for backpacking. I know manfrotto is having rebates on them as well. Just make sure you get a good head as well for the tripod. A cheap head will ruin a great tripod. I like the manfroto fluid head video ones. That way you can take the scope off when you are up close and you have an excellent head for recording video and pics.. hope that helps

iliveinthewoods
Spike
Spike

Post by iliveinthewoods » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:43 pm

OK... well i appreciate the info... I was going to get the pistol grip head... Has anyone had any experience with those?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hoyt Katera XL
Fuse Acculaunch
Fuse Satori
Fuse Sidekick
Spott Hogg Hogg-it
G5 Matreo Strings
Beaman ICS Hunter Elite
G5 Tekan
"I thought I could shoot, til i saw a shooter..."