Garmin Rino 530 HCx

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
GPWDeer
2 point
2 point

Garmin Rino 530 HCx

Post by GPWDeer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:33 pm

Well, I broke down after two seasons of dreaming...I bought the Garmin Rino 530 HCx two way radio/GPS. I am going to be using it this weekend for the opener of Archery Elk. My hunting partner also bought one and so did one other guy in our party.

Cabela's had them on sale last weeked for $399 with a $50 mail in rebate. They were also running a special where you get a $150 "cash card" if you spend over $500. So, I got the Rino, 6 carbon express arrows and 6 thunderhead broadheads ($544 after tax). The broadheads also had a $10 rebate. After it was all said and done, I ended up with $60 in rebates and $150 on a cash card and I earned $10 in Cabela's points for using the Club Card, thus making the effective cost of the three items purchased $334--a deal that was officially too good to pass up.

I then promptly took the cash card the next day and bought a primo's bow sling, a battery pack that allows me to use AA batteries on the Rino, a Primo's Imakadabullcrazy cow call, a new release with a buckle instead of velcro and ended up owing $.47.

I will post a preliminary review after this weekend of the Rino.

Good luck all you Idaho Archers.

GPWDeer
Making the swtich to the strick and string! Watch out!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Garmin Rino 530 HCx

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:37 pm

Hope you like them and best of luck.

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Post by Huge29 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:07 am

I am interested to hear your report; those sound like they would be awesome. I have read that the radio clarity leaves a lot to be desired. Let us know how they work! I just got my own cash card; now what do I use it on??

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:11 am

No coupons? :) Sounds like you cleaned up.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

GPWDeer
2 point
2 point

Post by GPWDeer » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:20 pm

So, we have been using these for two weeks or so. Here are my opinions so far...

1.) You absolutely have to have the extra topo mapping software in order to make the mapping and GPS portion worth the money.

2.) being able to see where your hunting partners are on your GPS in relation to you is priceless. I have been very happy with that function. You need to make sure you update your position fairly often to each other though, otherwise it maintains your last known position which can be quite different from your current location.

3.) You have to have the PTT (push to talk) earpiece which keeps the radio quiet to the outside, but allows you to hear everything very clearly. I recommend buying the motorola one vs. the Garmin one, because it is $10 cheaper and works great.

4.) The radio is 5Watts. It is clearer and more powerful than any radio I have used in the past, which is not saying much, because my last radios cost $50 for two! I have been satisfied with the radio so far.

5.) I kept the plastic screen protector on and I am glad that I did. The first day, I got a huge srape in the plastic that would have destroyed the screen. I am looking for replacement plastic protectors.

6.) The belt clip is nice, reliable and sturdy.

7.) The unit is a little heavier than I would like, the battery is a little bulkier than it seems like it would need to be and the antenae is prety large.

Overall, I am very happy with this purchase. If you are looking for the same funcionality for a little less money, the 130 seems like it might work fairly well, but it only has a 1Watt radio and I don't think it has expandable memory. The GPS function and the locating of co-hunters is the same though.

If anyone has any specific questions, shoot 'em my way or post them up here. I am happy to give any perspective I can on this product.

No, I don't have any affiliation with Garmin...I just like to type about the things I spend money on!

GPWDeer
Making the swtich to the strick and string! Watch out!

RoTuN
Fawn
Fawn

Post by RoTuN » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:13 am

Thanks for the review, I have had my eye on those as well.

fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Post by fatrooster » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:42 pm

I also have the 530 and have been happy with it. fatrooster.

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Post by Huge29 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:30 pm

GPWDeer wrote:4.) The radio is 5Watts. It is clearer and more powerful than any radio I have used in the past, which is not saying much, because my last radios cost $50 for two! I have been satisfied with the radio so far.
Seriously 5 watts? The standard motorolas are 0.5 watts and their latest and greatest are rated at a supposed 35 miles with only 1.5 watts.

fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Post by fatrooster » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:56 pm

Garmin advertises that it is a 5 watt transmitter that can talk to your friends up to 14 miles away in GMRS mode. fatrooster.