Scoop on Binoculars

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
deerhuntenokie
Fawn
Fawn

Scoop on Binoculars

Post by deerhuntenokie » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:54 pm

Merry Christmas fellow hunters. We had a white Christmas here in Southeast Oklahoma which is rare for these parts. Whitetails have gone nocturnal ( still bow season ) so all I can do is enjoy the postings on this web site. Every time I hear someone giving advice on mule deer hunting they suggest getting A GOOD SET OF BINOCULARS. I was wandering what is a good set of binoculars that won't break the bank. What power, what size objective lens and which style all of you use. I have an old set of 7x35 Nikons that I am going to have to replace but it seems all of the binoculars that I have tried will fog up on the outside when the weather gets real cold.
deerhuntenokie

fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Re: Scoop on Binoculars

Post by fatrooster » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:11 pm

It depends on your style of hunting. When I lived in Florida I did not have much use for optics but looking back now I can see some times where they would have helped me out. Sitting over pastures and power line strips come to mind. In a treed up place I like 8x42 power bino's. Now I have lived in Nevada for 15 years and feel that the 10x42 is a wise choice. With 10 power you are as powerful as you can go and accurately hold the glass steady. And they are very effective for long range glassing on a tripod. I feel that 8 power is also still good in wide open spaces but 10 power just gets you out there that much further. I feel that 15 power is just too hard to hold steady and too heavy to carry around your neck. 10 power is right in the middle and touches on both steadieness and long range.
Name brand and cost is up to you. In years past the quality and performane has been equal to the amount of money you chose to spend and while that is still true the cheaper brands are narrowing the gap between quality and price. If you want a very decent pair of bino's without breaking the bank then I suggest Vortex or Zen Ray. There are definitely many other brands that are in the same quality and price range. If you want the cats meow then look at Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss.
Next you will want a spotting scope but that is a whole new subject. fatrooster.

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Post by PhillyB » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:16 pm

l have a set of Vortex binos and they are great. They are affordable and do a great job. Hands down best binos for the money.l got mine from Dana here on the website. He is an authorized dealer and is a great guy to deal with.
His user name is AmericanBwanna send him a PM and he will answer all your questions.
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing

Top Gun
Spike
Spike

Post by Top Gun » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:12 am

IMO you can't beat the Nikon Monarch series for the money. Depending on terrain either 8x42's for closer denser areas or 10x42 for bigger open areas.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:30 am

Nikon Monarch and Vortex are both good Binos for the money
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

heshen
2 point
2 point

Post by heshen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:44 pm

IMO.. you cant bea the vortex binoculars for the money. I have a set of the diamondbacks and for the money I would say they are the best binuculars around for around $200.00 If you can afford more than that th Vipers or the Razors are very nice glass...

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:28 pm

fatrooster wrote: If you want a very decent pair of bino's without breaking the bank then I suggest Vortex or Zen Ray. There are definitely many other brands that are in the same quality and price range. If you want the cats meow then look at Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss.
X2 My son has the 10x42 Razors and they are excellent glasses. For a little less money the Vortex Vipers that my wife has are extremely light and small and they are also excellent glasses. I would say you will not go wrong with either of them. Vortex has the best warranty there is. If you send them in not working they will replace or repair them.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

bc.pse
2 point
2 point

Post by bc.pse » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:06 pm

I like my Cabelas 10x42 that I picked up for 200...I really like em. tsum has a pair too.
"I'm a Backwoods Boy! I grew up on a Dirt Road!"-Josh Turner

deerhuntenokie
Fawn
Fawn

Post by deerhuntenokie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:44 pm

Thanks guys, I have never looked through any Vortex glasses but I will before I make a purchase. I am surprised that I have not heard anything about Leupold glasses. I am high on their scopes but have never owned any of their binocs.
deerhuntenokie

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:20 pm

My buddy has a pair of leupold windrivers that are pretty nice, he swears by them. I'm loving the Nikon Monarch 10x42 ATB's that I got this year. Awesome glass for the price. Eastmans recently did a feild test on Binos. They rated the Nikon Monarchs as the best of class in the 0-500 dollar range. After using them I must agree that they are great. Very easy on the eyes.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."