Winter Kill

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Winter Kill

Post by Mularcher » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:45 am

Any word on the winter kill off this year? I counted a couple hundred healthy head a evening this weekend in their winter grounds.
Attachments
DSC_0024.JPG
DSC_0019.JPG
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Re: Winter Kill

Post by dahlmer » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:11 am

Other than the cold spell in January/February. The deer around here seem to have wintered pretty well. Lot's of deer around and they are looking pretty healthy.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:09 am

The deer I've seen in So. Utah look pretty good and healthy also, plenty of moisture so far. :thumb

I'm sure a few areas won't be so lucky, as the snow has just been relentless in some areas and it's sure to take a toll on fawns as well as adults.

huntfishnv
2 point
2 point

Post by huntfishnv » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:44 pm

We have had a huge winter up here in winter up here by Reno. 500 something inches of snow in the mountains...I think the average is somewhere around 350? No idea what the deer herd is looking like but the few I have seen look healthy.
The Buck Stops Here

OutBackG5
Fawn
Fawn

Post by OutBackG5 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:11 pm

Anybody heard anything about winter kill in SE utah mainly around the monticello area?? Last year we didn't see as many deer as we usually see. Seen good elk numbers though. Hopin there will better numbers this year is we get a tag again.

sewing
Spike
Spike

Post by sewing » Tue May 10, 2011 12:09 pm

I'm in the northern and NE area. It was a pretty big snow year, but the deer herds seem fine so far. I haven't seen a bunch of bodies in the wintering areas like I did back in the 80's after a BIG year. If I had to guess I would say they did well in this area and have plenty of moisture to work with this spring/summer.

Moose took a beating from vehicles on parley's canyon this last 12 months though.