Best Utah Limited Entry unit for archery?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
BEASTWOOD
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Best Utah Limited Entry unit for archery?

Post by BEASTWOOD » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:59 pm

I've been out of town doing some training for work and haven’t had a chance to check in. Thanks for all of the input. I would love to have a Henrys tag but I'm being realistic. I don’t think I would draw it any time soon if at all and I want to hunt one of Utah’s draw areas sooner than later. Like I said before I've spent a fair amount of time on the Vernon and know that there are the caliber of bucks I’m looking for out there. I think that killing one would be easier on the San Juan or the Pauns. well not easier per say, killing a 170" buck with stick and string is no easy task anywhere. I think one would have a better chance on those other units than the Vernon. Like I said before I really appreciate ever ones thoughts and suggestions. I guess the only reasonable thing to do would be to spend time on all of them and see for myself. The only problem with that is that I don’t have the time. You know the thirties,family,mortage, type stuff
I think I could probably thourally scout maybe 2 units besides the Vernon and my general tag.
Who knows, maybe I'll find one out there that will totally blow my BS theory out of the water.

NHS
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NHS » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:29 pm

With 10 points, I would hold out for the Henry tag. I drew the Henry archery tag this year with 13 points. I could have drew it last year with 12, but I decide to put in one more year for the any weapon and hone my skills with a bow for another 12 months. After doing some scouting on the mountain, I can say there is no other place like it in the world for mule deer. You can reasonable draw an archery tag in another 3-5 years, maybe sooner.

Shedfreak88
2 point
2 point

Post by Shedfreak88 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:31 am

I'd say San Juan 1st and books second. been on both hunts and both are awesome hunts lots of bucks, San Juan has bigger bucks then the books. Ill be more then happy to give you some tips on where to go on either unit. we killed a 180 buck on the books and 205 on san juan
"Big bucks didn't get big from being killed when they were young, Let Em' Go Let Em' Grow "-KB

swbuckmaster
2 point
2 point

Post by swbuckmaster » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:26 pm

When someone tells you you will draw a Henry tag in two years because you have 10 points and that is how many points it took to draw this year it only shows me they don't have a sniff how bad point creep is.

There are about 100 guys ahead of you with as many points or more points then you. Only 4 tags are issued to the top point holders. This leaves 4 tags going to high point pool 4/100=25 years if you are the last one in your point pool to draw the tag. Now this doesn't take into account that there are hundredssss of more guys in the rifle and muzzy pool that have equal or more points then you and these guys are now wanting to hunt and have been bailing to the archery pool for the last 3 or so years. This means that for the last 3 or so years the true blue archery hunters have not been drawing the tags. So you could be more then 25 years if you are the last one in your point pool. But hey you could be one of those guys that says I have 10 points and it took 12 points to draw and im going to draw in two years or less. lol

If you would have been in the 11 point pool your chances at drawing would have been way better. Maybe 6-8 years or less. What a difference a year makes!

this is the order of le units id pick for archery. It would different order if I were choosing a rifle.
The San Juan has been putting out some great bucks and is a great archery hunt. I know some guys that will tell you it is the best hunt out right now because it doesn't have the Henry hype and poor draw odds but has Henry quality and reasonable draw odds. Then the pauns and then the books, then the vernon, then the oakcreak unit.