Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
spike
Fawn
Fawn

X3B here I come

Post by spike » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:04 pm

Boyz (and Girlz)

Proof positive that even a blind dog finds a bone every now and then. Drew X3B with 1 preference point. Took a really nice 5 X 3 up there two years ago with a little help from my secret friend (thanks again Ben) and have every intention of a repeat.

Words of wisdom: I'll be 60 in Sept. Got a drop camp deer hunt at 10,000 ft middle of Sept. X3B Oct 1st , back to our Montana leases for deer & elk mid October, and thinking hard about whackin' another Cape Buffalo before all that.

The Dr. says "don't do it"
The Wife says "don't do it"
The kids and grand kids say "don't do it"

I'm doin' it.

All the best

Spike

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: X3B here I come

Post by Springville Shooter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:10 pm

Heck Spike...if you get another nice one, I might have to split my 6 points with ya and we'll go again next year when your 61! How's that sound? Best of luck to you my friend.------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

6x7
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 6x7 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Spliting points thats a offer I wouldnt pass up if I had the chance for the unit I hunt.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:23 pm

Welcome 6x7! What is the unit you like to hunt. Spike and I have some history in X3b and my wife has X5b this year. We grew up just north of Grass Valley, and I've done alot of work in that area. Good to hear from another Cali. hunter. There are alot more of us than most people think!------SS

modoc squeek shooter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by modoc squeek shooter » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:51 pm

I drew a X2 tag this year. I have hunted X3b and drew X5b the first year it was a draw. Never have hunted the Gardens(X2) but it is close so I have plenty of time to scout. Lol have some elk already staked out, but will probably die of old age before I draw a tag. I check cattle for a guy and the place is lousy with elk. I see 30 to 50 every time I go there.I am 66, so I figure I have a few more years lol. Well Spike I hope you get your buck. Heard Owl creek was good last year, it's kinda rough going, it's on the Eagleville side. Lol thats the steep side of the Warners. Oh I had 5 pts. now have to start over lol. Happy hunting, Ed

oilcan
Fawn
Fawn

Post by oilcan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:10 pm

I drew X5B also heading up there tomorrow to look around

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:54 pm

I'm open to any suggestions in X5b. I am planning to head over in late August for a scouting trip. I am very familiar with the area, but haven't been there for a few years. Oilcan, we should talk. PM me if you want to coordinate efforts.Gonna be a fun year.-----SS

modoc squeek shooter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by modoc squeek shooter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:12 am

I would try the Shinn ranch area, I killed a dang nice buck there years ago and I know of 2 bucks taken in the last 2 seasons that were over 28" wide. good luck,Ed

asmith
Fawn
Fawn

Post by asmith » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:39 am

ill tell you all what. i grew up in central cali, hunting d8, d9 areas and every now and again i would draw x10. i never got a deer in the 8 years i hunted there. never even saw one too shot at. my first choice was always the goodale hunt though. thats a dream. then i moved to northern cali, lake county, and started hunting those lil black tail. i ended up getting 3 of them in two years. now im in northern nevada for two years, and this year is the first time ive been drawn, so we will see how it goes out there. good luck all.
Hold my beer, watch this!!!

spike
Fawn
Fawn

Post by spike » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:11 am

Hey Modoc

Steep side? Bud, I haven't been able to find the shallow side of the Warners. Really looking forward to this season though. My biggest problem, if you can call it that, is that I have too many spots I want to hunt and can't figure out where to be for the opener. Thinking hard about getting in about a mile above a pretty active alfalfa pivot just south of Cedarville and just waiting for sunup. Poisen Springs, Dismal Swamp, Salt Creek, Annie Mountain. I'm so confused.

Good Hunting (???)

Spike