Guess the width picture!

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
BCBOY
Spike
Spike

Post by BCBOY » Mon May 03, 2004 8:45 pm

OregonEric,
Just curious on the body size of that buck. Any idea of what it field dressed? Compared to the deer up north here, it's body looks on the small size. May be why you're thinking 18 inch ears vs the more common 22-24 inch ears.
"Trophy value is not always a measure of tine and beam. It may be just a measure of hard, solid hunting in which both man and deer conducted themselves well, so that neither was shamed." - John Madson, "Why Men Hunt"

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Mon May 03, 2004 8:50 pm

Well, I've measured quite a few over the years and I'm not sure if I agree that most big mulies have only 18" ears (I have one on the wall that measure 24 1/2" tip to tip) but this buck has a pig head and is probably 5-6 years old. I'd say he's around 32-33". A great buck that Brett needs to show me in person so I can truly judge him. :P

BOHNTR )))----------------->

OregonEric
Spike
Spike

Post by OregonEric » Mon May 03, 2004 10:58 pm

Well I guess that you learn something everyday. I thought that most good bucks are 18 or so but I am wrong about that. I must have been thinking of the size of my...well nevermind. In the pic that 3 point does kinda look small, maybe it's because he's already been emptied out, or maybe it's the angle. I got this buck on the 9th day of the season and I seen 8 bucks before him shot. None had even close the body mass as that guy. We weighed him out at 147 gutted. He had been eating alphalfa for 5-6 years. Hmm... maybe I oughta contact B+C and claim that he's a blacktail.

OregonEric
Spike
Spike

Post by OregonEric » Mon May 03, 2004 11:02 pm

oh yeah... he's 29 3/4 outside.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue May 04, 2004 7:37 am

DO I win anything for being the closest?!?!?!?!?!? (Nothing more than a swift kick in the back side, I'm sure).

BCBOY
Spike
Spike

Post by BCBOY » Tue May 04, 2004 4:15 pm

Oregon Eric,
I'm used to much bigger body sizes up here. It seems like the further north you travel the bigger bodied animals you run into. Not uncommon for a buck to exceed 350 pounds up here.
You definately have a nice buck there regardless of body size. Congrats! Did you get him mounted? Would love to see some pics of the mount if you did.
"Trophy value is not always a measure of tine and beam. It may be just a measure of hard, solid hunting in which both man and deer conducted themselves well, so that neither was shamed." - John Madson, "Why Men Hunt"

The_deer_tick
Fawn
Fawn

Post by The_deer_tick » Tue May 04, 2004 6:01 pm

hey man killer picture did you take it your self :D

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed May 05, 2004 1:30 pm

Thanks for all the replies. 1st off I should point out I don't know the width of this buck. I never did get him. I'll still sick about 2 years later. :cry:

In the photo he is a 4x5 typical frame. The year after this photo he was an absolute "hog". Biggest buck I've ever seen. He had super width, great forks, excellent mass, I believe 6 points on his right side (2 cheaters) and more than that on his left side (never did get a good look).
He was the absolute buck of a lifetime. Unfortunatley I never saw him again after that year and actually only saw him one time the entire year.

And trust me I spent plently of hours trying to find and film him. He was a complete "night rider" and very smart.

I fear he may have been poached, but don't have any way to prove it. I hope not, but maybe someone took him legally?

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed May 05, 2004 1:40 pm

Here is a back shot of him just for fun.

heelerdog
Fawn
Fawn

Post by heelerdog » Thu May 06, 2004 9:53 pm

33-34" nice pictures thanks