Henry Mountains - Here I Come!

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
smilesgv
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Henry Mountains - Here I Come!

Post by smilesgv » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:14 pm

I got a phone call last week from the DWR and I got a Management Buck tag, someone must have turned one in! So save a nice one with three on side for me. Look forward to your reports!

Top Gun
Spike
Spike

Post by Top Gun » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:07 pm

So you know, there are some dandy 3 pts down there. My cousin had that same tag last year and shot a nice 3x4. They were originally chasing a smokin 3x7 which they couldn't turn up after 3 days.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:48 pm

NHS,

Any luck?

NHS
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NHS » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:15 pm

MuleyMadness wrote:NHS,

Any luck?
Not yet. I have been having some great experiences. I have been posting my experiences and photos on another forum. If it is okay with you, can I post those same posts here? That will save me from retyping.

NHS
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NHS » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:18 pm

This was written last Tuesday:

Ok. I'm back home tonight. It KILLED me to come home, but I gotta work to pay the bills.
Let me first say that this whole experience has been the single coolest hunting experience in my life. I had a fantastic experience 2 years ago on an open bull unit and lucked into a great bull. That experience was amazing. Once we located the elk, the strategy, the tracking, the stealthy stalk and then shooting a big bull in its bed from 45 yards was unforgettable.

The thing that has been cool about this hunt is that it has gone on now for more than 4 months...actually longer than that. I have been dreaming about chasing big mulies on the Henry Mountains for years. When I learned that I drew the tag, this thing has consumed a large portion of my thoughts and dreams. The planning and strategy, meeting new people and getting information. Learning new country, seeing new sights....it has all been one fun ride. I guess what I am trying to say is that this hunt has been everything I could have hoped for in a premium limited entry hunt. Even if I eat tag soup (which I have NO intention of doing) I will have zero regrets.

That said, I have still felt a great deal of pressure. Most of it is self-imposed. This is a hunt of a lifetime. I don’t want to screw it up by doing something stupid. As a result, I have tried to think of every scenario and angle. I probably have over thought things. That is where I found myself on Saturday morning. Saturday I found myself almost frantic in searching for a shooter buck. As a result, I did not have the right attitude and perspective. Here is a buck I found first thing on Saturday. I blew right past this guy and didn’t even give him a second look. As I look at him now, I think “wow, what a great mule deer”.

I spent most of the day Saturday saying things like, “too small”, “weak fronts”, “he’s kind of crabby”, “too willowy”, “too young”, “not what I’m looking for” etc. Saturday night I laid eyes on one cool buck. The guy I talked to from Richfield who has been hunting him called him the tripod buck. He is a stud of a buck.

Sunday was a good day for me. I don’t want this to turn into a no-hunting-on-Sunday thread. If you hunt on Sunday, more power to you and I wish you the most success possible. For me personally, it’s something I choose not to do. But taking that day off on Sunday was the best thing that could have done to get my head straight. Sunday night we drove back to look at Tripod and his posse. There were 3 other REALLY nice bucks with him as well as a whole bunch of interference. The Richfield Hunter was just coming back to the road after sitting on Tripod all day. We had a great chat. He and his hunting buddy are good dudes.

Monday morning I started set up where I hoped Tripod and his posse would pass. They went the other way and headed into the timber to bed. I knew the other hunter was in that timber. I did not want to blow his hunt, so I hiked around the mountain and came from the backside above him. It took me over 2 hours to sneak in about 100 yards. I finally found the bucks that were bedded. That is when I gave the update on my phone. I spent an hour just 50 yards from this guy. What do you think, is he a shooter?

As I sat there trying to talk myself into shooting this buck, a quick micro burst thunderstorm moved in. In the end, I’m glad I was patient. Fate decided the situation for me. When that storm came in, the bucks scented either me or Richfield…either way, they bolted like they had been shocked by a cattle prod.

Monday was an AWESOME day. I had been within bow range of SEVERAL mature bucks. I crawled and rolled around in the dirt for more than 6 hours. I hiked about 2 miles, about 1 of it straight up, and the other 1 straight down. It doesn’t get any better than that!
That night I went to Richfield’s camp and talked strategy. He wants that Tripod buck bad. Since he found him before I did, I feel like it is the right thing to do to let him have first crack at it. Like I said, this is a stand-up guy. I agreed to steer clear of this patch of timber for the short-term. As a result, he told me where I could find a stud of a typical 4X4.

I found that buck this morning. He was too close to us for me to get out the scope and get a good pic. I had to snap this pic with my point and shoot as we were pretending to drive by so as not to alarm him. After a quick gear check, I set out to stalk him. He ultimately gave me the slip in the oak brush, but I know where he lives and I will be back for a visit. He is a WIDE perfectly symmetrical 4 point. A truly beautiful buck I would be proud to have hang on my wall (read unfinished basement wall)

Like I said, overall it has been incredible. I can’t wait to get back down there. Sorry this was so long……there will be more to come.
Here are a few photos:

Some of Tripod's posse:
Cheater buck on top:

"Them Sirens loved him up and turned him into a h...horny toad!"

A couple of great 4 point.

Me with my father-in-law. A great guy and friend:

Stay tuned. More to come.........Hopefully!

NHS
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NHS » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:21 pm

I was able to make it down for a quick trip this weekend. I go back late Saturday night. Here is a report from that trip:

Boy, getting close to a big one is not easy. Overall a good day. The trip started off exciting with a brief middle of the night rain storm. We just crashed in the bed of the truck, so we had to Mcgiver a shelter. Luckily I chucked an old tent in. The rainfly fit over the bed of the truck just like it was made for it.

First thing this morning we started to see deer. There were some bruisers up on the skyline. How would you get to them?

After some more glassing, Tree found a big heavy buck that was definately in a huntable area. He is the buck in the upper right.
These bucks were feeding from the open area to a bedding area. The plan was for me to get around the hill and come up from the backside of the ridge. I either under estimated the height and steepness of the ridge, or over estimated my ability to climb it quickly...I'm not sure which one. By the time I topped out on this ridge, the bucks had already made their way into the timber to bed.

This was thick nasty juniper, pinion, scrub, and pines. I did my best to sneak in there and find the bucks before they found me. Unfortunately, we found each other at the same time at about 40 yards. The bucks snorted, and jumped. They were in a bunch of thick stuff. Even if I had located them first, I would not have had a shooting lane.

After I made my way back to Tree, we continued glassing different areas of the mountain. We made our way over to check on Richfield to see if he killed his buck yet. The tripod is still eluding him. He was close today, but as I have come to realize...close doesn't count.

We continued on our way to find a big deer to stalk. The small group of skyline bucks was still on top. They are fun to look at and take pictures of.

We found the club buck. His right side is like a giant club. He is a pretty unique buck.

Here is another buck that let us take his picture.

Towards the end of the afternoon, I looked over on a far point and found 3 BIG bucks. 2 of them were something special. They were in a huntable location, so after I snapped a pic, we hurried to get into place. This picture does not due them justice. They were heavy, wide and tall....that is a great combination.

I hurried as quicky and quietly as I could. Conditions seemed to be perfect. I came around the back side of the knoll they were feeding on. As I came around, it started to rain. Stalking conditions were perfect. When the rain started, the wind shifted and started to blow down hill. I was not concerned, because I thought that I would come around below them. It turns out that I came around above them. The three of them were huddled behind a small tree 70 yards directly downhill from me. I knew they could smell me because their heads were on a swivel. But they had no idea where I was. I could see giant antlers turning back and forth above the tree. That is enough to get the blood pumping! I tried to get in a location to possibly have my scent carried away from them. After watching them for a few minutes, they turned and slowly headed downhill away from me, never presenting a shot.

It was another great day in the field. I learned a few things that hopefully I can use to my advantage when I head down again. This sure has been a great experience. Sometimes I need to pinch myself. I'M HUNTING THE HENRY!!!

jdh
Spike
Spike

Post by jdh » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:47 pm

Thanks for the updates NHS, I am really enjoying this. I tripod buck hit the ground. Hopefully it was the richfield guy that got him.

NHS
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NHS » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:53 pm

Yes, the Tripod buck hit the dirt today and it was Richfield that took him. He is a great guy who deserved that buck. He put A LOT of time and effort into him. I am happy for him.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:06 pm

I have a pic, just don't have permission to post...don't want to upset anyone.
Think they would mind? Don't know the hunter or I would ask. Sweet buck!

Shedfreak88
2 point
2 point

Post by Shedfreak88 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:15 am

Mace Craine killed the buck. drew the tag with 0-1 point. Lucky guy congrats though on a great buck...Great story NHS sounds like its been a great time. I wish you the best of luck hopefully you'll get the one your looking for.
Attachments
Download36082811103635.jpg
Download36082811103635.jpg (73.75 KiB) Viewed 6384 times
Last edited by Shedfreak88 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Big bucks didn't get big from being killed when they were young, Let Em' Go Let Em' Grow "-KB