Calling in Mule deer in the rut

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Tracker J
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Tracker J » Thu May 13, 2004 10:07 pm

Yea we were out around barrier area, just scouting new roads that were goin in and out of areas of burn, and we were seeing good green up and good territory for deer habitat for the future. As for the shutting down of areas, i dont think they'd be able to do it, theres too much damage and areas all over the place, and they'll be logging throughout the areas trying to salvage some timber from the wildfires, and so i think it'll be open to hunting. The greenstone fire has produced some great country, was going to do some bow hunting last year in ther but never got around to it, and we didnt have a game hauler or anything to bring an animal out, but i think its good that they've got the vehicle restriction and hunting restriction there, cus it'll make for great animal habitat with no pressure. I think that prescribed burns are a great idea, why wait for beetle kill to ruin our forests and habitat, I'm not an expert here, but why not do some prescribed burns in beetle kill areas, and surrounding areas and maybe kill the some of the beetle population while making some great areas for deer and moose. Anyways, it"ll be interesting how the burns do affect the animals, seems like the deer moved back fast and got good food in some areas. I wonder if any deer will be pushed into non burned areas, or will deer even move into these areas due to the new growth. haha well gotten off track here a bit, back to the call, looks like I should be gettin this video and watchin before next season. I was thinking it'd probably be pretty good, so im sold now longbow if you think its worth it, and your hunting similar areas to me, so similar results should be suspected.
"Hunting is not something you read in books or watch on tv, hunting is a feeling, an art, and a time honored tradition"

BCBOY
Spike
Spike

Post by BCBOY » Fri May 14, 2004 6:36 pm

Living in the North Thompson, I'm quite confident that once they pull as much of the burned timber out of the area that they can, you'll see road closures. That will be freakin' awesome. Barriere already had some monster bucks living in that country. Give it 3 years and it's going to boom. Skull Mtn had the restrictions prior to the fire, now, it will just have some more. Given how dry this spring has been, it will probably be a worse fire year than last year. Sucks when you live in the country like I do but can't help think about all the great habitat being created. Coupled with the mild winters, we are going to slam the BOOKS again and again with Record Bucks.
"Trophy value is not always a measure of tine and beam. It may be just a measure of hard, solid hunting in which both man and deer conducted themselves well, so that neither was shamed." - John Madson, "Why Men Hunt"

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat May 15, 2004 7:56 am

I used Eastman's deerstopper to great success in the sagebrush country around Savona. If I can figure out how to upload pictures off my digital, iwould post the proof of the call.

longbow264
Fawn
Fawn

Post by longbow264 » Sat May 15, 2004 8:02 am

Forgot to log in, that is my guest post about Savona. MattB, I'm thinking your my neighbor.??? :D :D

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat May 15, 2004 5:47 pm

Yea, im pretty sure who you are. I posted it on huntshoot?? I stopped by your place one day when there were 2 big bucks in the garage??

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat May 15, 2004 5:48 pm

sorry that was my post above. I hate this enter your username stuff....

longbow264
Fawn
Fawn

Post by longbow264 » Tue May 18, 2004 11:03 pm

Tracker, The more I use the huntshoot site the more i like it. Hopefully I will see ya on there. I'll keep in sync with ya regardless.
Longbow264

Tracker J
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Tracker J » Thu May 20, 2004 6:06 pm

Yea, i just saw a couple of pics of deer. Way to go. I just loaded some bear pics on and im slowly learning to use the site, lots of friendly ppl there and people happy to give help to other hunters.
"Hunting is not something you read in books or watch on tv, hunting is a feeling, an art, and a time honored tradition"

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri May 21, 2004 7:46 am

I thought the title of this post was "calling mule deer in the rut" not advertising for other sites? thanks guys!

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat May 22, 2004 6:17 pm

Ya beat me to the punch MuleyMadness!