rifle or bow?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
He'll_Be_Bigger_Next_Year
Fawn
Fawn

rifle or bow?

Post by He'll_Be_Bigger_Next_Year » Mon May 31, 2004 7:40 pm

for starters, I live in central british columbia and plan on hunting from mule deer to moose. 2 years ago i was a pro archer, in compettitions and such but i grew out of my bow and just didnt get another. my problem is, i dont know whether to keep continuing hunting with a bow, or rifle, this was my first year to actually fill tags and i got my first moose and deer. I wanted a 7mm rem. mag, but my parents feel I should go for the bow. i dont get to go hunting much. what would be a better choice bow or rifle?

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon May 31, 2004 8:43 pm

I think it's a matter of choice or personal preference. I feel there is a greater challenge in bowhunting versus rifle. I just recently got into bow hunting myselft, but in the long run think I find it more rewarding. But only time will tell. I wouldn't stress yourself about it, try both and see which one you like. But keep practicing with the bow for sure. Just my thoughts.

He'll_Be_Bigger_Next_Year
Fawn
Fawn

Post by He'll_Be_Bigger_Next_Year » Mon May 31, 2004 8:57 pm

i really like hunting with a rifle, but would really enjoy the challenge of bow hunting. i was looking for some opinions as to which would be the better option.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:40 am

Bigger, I agree with MuleyMadness in that it's really up to you. I too have been "dabbling" in archery after hunting with a rifle my entire life.
Right now I would have to say I prefer the rifle over archery but I am sure that has a lot to do with the fact that I am much more comfortable with the rifle at this point. I'll continue to practice everything that goes along with bow hunting and hope to become good enough to were I archery hunt more than rifle hunt. I think I'm just intrigued with the fact that I can't settle for stalking within 200-300 yards to harvest an animal like I can with the rifle. Much more skill involved if you ask me....not to mention that I still can't hit the broad side of barn if I was standing in it!

Danthe2pointmuleyman
Spike
Spike

Post by Danthe2pointmuleyman » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:39 pm

hey,
well i am a true rifleman. i disagree with people saying bow hunting is more challenging. ive been bow hunting with my dad an he has tagged more deer with a bow than a rifle. ok you can say that a rifle has a further shot, well can you make a further shot? when does the hunt give you a perfect rifle shot? they come few an far between. i would rather be up rifle huntin than bow huntin anyday but than again thats just my choice. all in all it is ur choice about the bow or the rifle, all i can say is try both an choose for urself or if ur rich do both lol i dont think there is a right or wrong choice with either one myself. bow an rifle both provide a great hunt an hunting is all about bein in the wild an the mtns anyway so just go an enjoy it.
Happy Trails