Color Country Outfitters in trouble

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
30inchbucks
Fawn
Fawn

Color Country Outfitters in trouble

Post by 30inchbucks » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:57 pm

Check this out. It's too bad this kind of garbage is going on. This is what money is doing to our sport we all love so much. The story is on Channel 5news at 10pm tonight and it's also on their website.

Here's the actual story straight from the ksl.com website.

Secret Videotape Raises Ethical Questions In Private Deer Hunt
Jun. 23, 2004

A secretly made videotape of a hunting incident in southern Utah has raised ethical questions and triggered an investigation by wildlife officials. It appears to show deer and elk deliberately trapped by a hunting party which eventually shot a prize buck. John Hollenhorst has just returned from Kane County.

The hunting outfitter vigorously denies allegations of trapping, which would be a third degree felony. He says this videotape, which someone mailed to us anonymously, is misleading. But he admits what happened was bad and should never happen again.

This incident took place in a farming area just outside Alton in Kane County. It's private land where hunters pay up to 11,000 dollars to shoot a trophy deer. Last September, other hunters shot this videotape as a California hunter and two guides went after an especially desirable buck deer. In off-camera conversations, the videotapers are heard accusing the hunting party of cornering deer and elk along an 8-foot-high fence.

VOICES OFF-CAMERA: "THAT'S GOTTA BE TOUGH, TRYING TO GET A SHOT, WITH ALL THOSE ANIMALS STANDING IN THE CORNER OF THAT FENCE. OH YEAH, THAT'S REAL TOUGH."

They claim the natural exit points were deliberately blocked for well over an hour by people, vehicles and temporary gates propped up just before the hunt. But outfitter Wade Heaton says the deer had plenty of running room. The large farm acreage was only partly fenced... but he says some deer mistakenly cornered themselves. He says the incident stretched on... because the first shot only wounded the deer. The rifle malfunctioned and it took time to get another rifle and finish the job.

WADE HEATON, COLOR COUNTRY OUTFITTERS: "AND SO REALLY I DON'T THINK THERE WAS ANYTHING ILLEGAL THAT WENT ON WITH IT. IT WAS TOO BAD. AND OBVIOUSLY THAT'S NOT THE WAY PEOPLE LIKE TO HUNT. AND IT WAS AN UNFORTUNATE CIRCUMSTANCE."

The division of Wildlife Resources wrapped up an investigation and turned it over to the Kane County Attorney a couple of days ago. No word yet on whether any charges will be filed. The facts and the legalities are very complex. We'll explain it all to you tonight at 10pm.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:11 pm

30inchbucks:

Seems like you've already made your mind up as to what happended out there. With about 20 years in law enforcment I've learned one thing for sure; take media reporting with a grain of salt, as they usually are NOT the most FACT driven resource available. I'll wait until I see a trial and conviction before I pass judgement. EVERYONE is entilted to that. I'm all for facts, not accustations. I just wish everyone was. Good luck.

BOHNTR )))----------------->

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:42 am

I would have to agree with BOHNTR. The media does have a way of twisting a story around in order to get thier audience interested in it or to get a rise out of people. The article that is posted sure doesn't SOUND too pleasant but without more information I'm certainly not going to jump to any conclusions.
I would be interested in knowing more about this particular incident though because either way, the way it's reported (If it was reported in the same manner that it was posted) it sure doesn't do us hunters any favors.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:56 pm

I'll only add guys/gals IF the allegation is proven true, then by all means they deserve the negative heat they're receiving and must suffer the consequences according to the law. It is wrong IF it occurred in that manner. I'm only apprehensive because I believe in the Justice System of our country and I've experienced too MANY stories in our hutning community accusing hunters, ranchers, guides, videographers, of committing illegal acts. Then when the dust cleared, and the FACTS were investigated and released, it was not exactly what was spread all over in the first place. I just want to make sure of the facts before I make a negative statement about someone or their livelihood. Just my opinion.

BOHNTR )))---------------->

shedhunter
Spike
Spike

Rumors

Post by shedhunter » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:04 am

Hey Ya'll:

I'v herd for ever that there has been things not quite legal over there. I never believed them to be true and the rumors came flying still. The latest was a high fenced hunt and also high fences trapping deer and other animals from "escaping". Well looks like rumors that were flying were partially true. Wheather or not it is all true I do not know. The biggest guides can be the best of guys, yet it takes only one or two of the ugliest of them to screw them all. I am now very intrested in seeing how things fold out with them.
~shedhunter~

30inchbucks
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 30inchbucks » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm

Heres the rest of this story. THis was on Channel 5 (ksl.com) 10 pm newscast:

Wildlife Officials Investigate Accusations of Trapping Deer
Jun. 23, 2004

"THAT'S GOTTA BE TOUGH, TRYING TO GET A SHOT WITH ALL THOSE ANIMALS STANDING IN THE CORNER OF THAT FENCE." "OH YEAH, THAT'S REAL TOUGH, HA, HA."

A secretly made videotape of a hunting incident in Southern Utah has raised ethical questions and triggered an investigation by wildlife officials.

It appears to show deer and elk deliberately trapped ... until a prize buck is shot and killed by a California hunter. A hunter, who paid big money for the kill.

John Hollenhorst is here ... to tell us more.

The hunting outfitter vigorously denies allegations of trapping. He says this videotape... which we received anonymously... is misleading.

But he admits what happened was bad. And a top wildlfie official says he finds it very distasetful.

The incident took place just outside Alton in Kane County. It's private farmland where a California hunter paid about 11,000 dollars to shoot a trophy deer.

Last September, other hunters shot this videotape as the Californian and two guides went after an especially desirable buck deer.

OFF-CAMERA VOICES: "THEY GOT HIM TRAPPED, DON'T THEY?

In off-camera conversations, the videotapers are heard accusing the hunting party of cornering deer and elk along an 8-foot-high fence for at least an hour or two.

OFF-CAMERA VOICES: "THAT'S SAD MAN, IT MAKES YOU SICK." "NOT A VERY NOBLE DEATH IS IT?"

Eventually the prize buck of the herd dropped to the ground.

BANG! OFF-CAMERA VOICES: "THEY NICKED HIM, DID THEY? "THEY KILLED HIM."

But outfitter Wade Heaton says the deer had plenty of running room. A vast acreage is contained within a series of fences that are mostly low enough for deer to jump over. A partially completed 8-foot-high fence was only a partial barrier to the trophy buck.

WADE HEATON/COLOR COUNTRY OUTFITTERS: "HE WAS IN NO WAY TRAPPED. THERE WAS LOTS OF GROUND FOR HIM TO COVER. HE JUST PICKED A PARTICULAR CORNER THERE THAT HE COULDN'T GO OUT OF."

He says the incident stretched on because the first shot only wounded the deer. The rifle malfunctioned and it took time to get another rifle and finish the job.

WADE HEATON/COLOR COUNTRY OUTFITTERS: "NO ONE IS PARTICULARLY HAPPY ABOUT IT. IT WAS AN UNFORTUNATE INCIDENT THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN AND THANK GOODNESS THAT IT WON'T."

JOHN HOLLENHORST REPORTING: "THE PEOPLE WHO SHOT THE VIDEO REFUSED TO SPEAK TO US ON CAMERA. BUT ONE OF THEM TOLD US IT WAS OBVIOUS THE DEER WERE TRAPPED BY THE FENCE, AND THEIR EXIT POINTS CUT OFF BY PEOPLE AND VEHICLES."

OFF-CAMERA VOICES: "THOSE GATES RIGHT THERE HAVEN'T BEEN THERE ALL SUMMER AND NOW THEY'RE PROPPED UP."

The videotapers claim that exit points were blocked by temporary gates, put up just before the hunt.

WADE HEATON/COLOR COUNTRY OUTFITTERS: "HUUNHHH. YOU KNOW I REALLY, UH, I COULD GIVE YOU MY OPINION ON THAT. BUT I REALLY DON'T KNOW. SOME OF THE OTHER HUNTERS IN THE AREA THAT WEREN'T PART OF OUR GROUP, I HEARD THEY WERE DOING THAT AS WELL. BUT I REALLY CAN'T CONFIRM THAT EITHER."

The case is tricky from a legal standpoint: How do you define the difference between trapping in fact... versus trapping in effect.

And it's an ethical quandary too: how different is this from a group of hunters pressuring a herd of deer up a box canyon. A common practice.

The Division of Wildlife has completed an investigation and it's now in the hands of the Kane County Attorney.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:59 pm

Well I won't say much on this topic/subject because I have been on the Alton unit hunting with good friend. So I know from 1st hand experience much of the ranch and some of the people involved in guiding. Some fairly well. So I'll leave my opinion out of this one.

However if they or anyone is convicted of a violation according to the law. The consequences will and should follow. If not then the topic should be dropped in my opinion.

As far as the last part of the article posted regarding fencing versus this:

"And it's an ethical quandary too: how different is this from a group of hunters pressuring a herd of deer up a box canyon. A common practice."

I believe there is a big difference.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:02 pm

Forgot to login, the last post was mine. :)

30inchbucks
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 30inchbucks » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:31 pm

I agree with you MuleyMadness. There is a big difference.

OregonEric
Spike
Spike

Post by OregonEric » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:55 am

Wow... The site admin forgets to log in, must have been in a hurry to post! Whoever said there's no difference between a box canyon and a man made high fence should pack up his crap and go back to Mars. This stuff makes me sick! It is money that IS RUINING hunting! I bet that california smuck felt like a real big man after that. Big bad Elmer Fudd. Facts are one thing, but a videotape is another. Why are you sticking up for this outfit? Afraid to call out one of our own? And Brett, Why is it that don't have anything to say? You know them and should be able to at least give an idea to way things work there. God this makes me sick, I can only imagine how the antis feel, but I may be in the same boat with them on this. You see that the guide admitted having the deer cornerned " some of the other hunters that weren't part of our group, I heard they were doing that as well." Think about it though, what would work better than a high fence that is only partially completed with a corner in it? Not much. Just make a push and put a guy on the ends. Funny how the guys at the ranch found time to put up a fence between summer and September, that's usually a busy time. I for one am tired of ranchers and outfitters treating wildlife like cattle. Ranchers livlihoods should not depend on the wildlife that inhabit the area. The email address to the Kane county DA is ericlind@xpressweb.com . Let him know what you think of this outfit and mention that you are a avid outdoorsman. But it may come out to be that no crime has been commited, do you really think that we should "drop It"? Like since it isn't illegal it isn't extremly unethical? get real! We should put people like this on an island... then nuke it!