Hunt from the past-Guess the score!

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Hunt from the past-Guess the score!

Post by ridgetop » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:32 am

I hope I am not boring you guys with stories of the past but that's all I have right now. Vernon, Utah 2002 rifle. After scouting every weekend and now into the second to the last day of the rifle hunt. I had passed up hundreds of 20-24" 3 and 4 points in hopes of that monster but my wife had finally had enough and asked me to just get one and come home. I had been hunting all week and 3 days my family did come out and spend time with me. So I told her I would shoot the next ok 4 point I saw. That afternoon I cut a fresh track(big) and followed it into a deep canyon. While glassing I spotted some small bucks in the bottom. There was a nice big rock with a notch in it only a few yards away, which would make a great rest.(I did not own any shooting sticks at the time) About 3 feet from the big rock I slipped and fell on the loose shale rock and from the noise, the whole canyon exploded with deer. I spotted a nice 23-24" 150-160 class buck going into the bottom and up the other side at moch 3. I got a rest and shot and missed. Now he is slowing down from the steep hill and I shoot again. Cick! ??? I eject the bullet. Click again! ??? ??? So now I look at the primmer and it is barely touched by the pin. So I finally give up and when I get back to camp. I clean my gun and the action is filled with crud and dust like no other. I guess from riding around all week in the dry desert this had happened. Now I always carry my gun in a soft case strapped to my machine when hunting this way. Well I cleaned it real good, I thought and called a guy I work with and my cousin to help me out the next day. I told them how I was planning on shooting the first 4 point we see and I could use the help packing it out or just more eyes to spot. My buddy from work showed up 11 pm that night and my cousin about 1 hour before light.

Is this too boring?
Last edited by ridgetop on Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's always next year

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:56 am

WHAT! Get back to typing! :thumb

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:12 am

ridgetop, I agree with Wayne......it's a looooong off season...please keep typing friend. :thumb
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:28 am

Is this too boring?
Nope keep er coming!

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:10 am

I hate fingerpecking but here I go. When we pulled up to the spot to unload, there was a guide and hunter already on their atv and pulling away. After we got going and traveled over the first hill, the guide was there waiting. then he would speed up and stop and glass but when we got close , he would speed up again and not let us pass. :>/ I had talked to this guide earlier in the week and he was not happy with the way the hunt was going. I think he was getting desparate to score. We finally came to a fork in the trail . They took the left, so I took the right. I had only gone a few hundred yards over a small rise and there were 5-6 deer about 200 yards ahead. Two bucks, one was an 18" 3 point and the other a 23" 4 point( really ended up being 26 1/2). So I decided to take the 4 point. I took a good rest and sweezed the trigger but the trigger doesn't move. I quickly check the safety and it is off. Right then the gun goes off and the bullet hits between the buck and doe. Very scary. The firing pin must have hung up when the trigger would not move. I tried to shoot again and this time the trigger worked fine but pin did not. By this time the buck walkes over the hill. We went over and the deer were nowhere in sight. We walked over to a point and glassed awhile. We decided for me to go on the other side and they would stay put and watch but as I got back to the wheeler here come some deer sneeking away from where I just walked from and there was the 4 point at about 80 yards. I took a rest on the rack of the quad and fired. Yes!!! the gun fired this time and a direct hit in the lungs. He ran about 50 yards and went down 10 feet from the trail.

What does this buck score?

There's always next year

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:35 am

No guesses on score yet?
There's always next year

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:44 am

This is the first time I've seen the pic, I'll say he is 145"

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:46 am

Hard to tell from the photo.....but how about 158" net??
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

shorty
2 point
2 point

Post by shorty » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:51 am

I will guess 149 5/8 net.

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:45 pm

ill say 152" net
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.