Preseason scouting...

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Hankenstein
Fawn
Fawn

Preseason scouting...

Post by Hankenstein » Tue May 13, 2003 3:21 pm

Just curious when folks start their preseason scouting. Unfortunately I can't scout year around therefore gotta use my available time efficiently.

DBARCHER

Post by DBARCHER » Tue May 13, 2003 5:12 pm

I scout anytime I can get out, soon I will be going shed hunting in northern Arizona. Hopefully we will find some nice sheds.
:)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat May 17, 2003 8:25 pm

I'm always scouting but until our deer are on thier summer range they will not stay put.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun May 18, 2003 8:31 am

I'll be going out here in a couple of weeks to see what I can find. I know it's still early for Utah, or at least the horns aren't real big yet. But heck it's just fun watching them. I'll post a couple of pics to show everyone what I found.

PAUNSAUGUNT
Fawn
Fawn

scouting trip

Post by PAUNSAUGUNT » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:46 am

I am leaving today for a trip to the Paunsaugunt to attend a family reunion at the cabins. I can't wait for some early morning and late evening wildlife viewing. I am excited to see what bucks and bulls this year has produced for some lucky hunters to go after. Maybe some day I will actually get to hunt there. I'll let you know if I find any monsters.
John

FeRangerXXXV
Fawn
Fawn

Post by FeRangerXXXV » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:01 pm

Where I hunt in Colorado is about 225 miles from where I live. But I travel thoughout the state for a living, so I am always citter watching. When I get a chance to take some time to hike or camp, I carry a camera and/or binos. I also try to plan a trip to my hunting area in Sept. about 6 weeks before my rifle season. I really get a lay of the land and get a better idea on movement, bedding area, water holes and roads. I also show up at least one day early before the beginning of the hunt to scout.

Hope that helps,

MuleyHntr
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MuleyHntr » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:15 pm

Went scouting last wknd west of Glenwood Spgs Co. I Got into a herd of about 75 elk including 5 or 6 nice bulls. Funny thing is I got Bull fever and forgot to push record on the camcorder so I missed out on getting it on film. Also saw 4 real nice shooter bucks, wish I had a muzzleloader tag. Oh well maybe some of them will be around during rifle season in October.

sheephunter
Spike
Spike

Post by sheephunter » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:17 pm

I was out scouting last weekend in the southern part of Eagle's Nest wilderness and found a bachelor group of bucks right at the upper fringes of timberline. They were at the head of a blind basin with no trails in...from what I learned sheep hunting last year, those bucks should still be there when archery season comes in.