Dan Eastman and Majestics? why would i disagree

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:32 am

wyomingtrophyhunter,
passed through thermop, meetesse, riverton area this past weekend. went up to billings montana to get my new shotgun and some supplies for the upcoming deer season. saw a couple nice deer coming down through the wind river canyon into thermopolis. that is where you are hunting this year, isn't it. i thought about your posts when i saw those deer. the caliber of deer you described just about drove me into the river looking to see if these deer were anything like you described. unfortunately they were not but i have no problem believing the size of deer you described after really looking at the habitat these deer live in. this is without a doubt some awesome country. came back through yellowstone and after coming over sylvan pass on the east entrance i came around a corner and there standing not ten feet off the road was two grizzlies. a mom and her little cub. it was the coolest thing, the first grizzlies i have ever seen.

anyways, i personally don't think there is anything wrong with a guided hunt. i use to guide for a friend back home, my good friend was guided this past few weeks on her sheep hunt, and many other people i know have payed to have a guide. i will tell you one thing that i totally agree with you on, everyone must make a living some how. and guiding hunters is probably one of the hardest ways to make a living. the clients always have high expectations. some, not all, but some expect way more than you can provide and when they go home emptied handed, they want to complain. you would think that a guide or outfitter has got the life. any many aspects of things they do, but it is not all fun and games when you have a paying customer waiting for results.

what i am saying is i do not think having a guide is bad, take your situation for example, how would you do alot of the preparation work for your hunt. when you live 2000 miles away. it is those folks that have the animal handed to them on a silver platter that are just not in the same class of muley as those others that tend to chap my a$%. maybe it is because i am envious, maybe it is because it sucks that i can't afford to do it, i don't know! but i will tell you one thing, if i had the money, BOY I WOULD BE doing it every year.
IT TAKES ALOT OF SACK TO BAG A BIG RACK

wyomingtrophyhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by wyomingtrophyhunter » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:34 pm

WYMULEYMAN,

I too know the guide business from the other side. As a kid, we would take old rich (yankee) guys out on the White and Little Red rivers for some of that legendary Arkinsaw trout fishing. You are right: whining and crying at every turn. Not all of them; some were real outdoorsmen who really only needed a local buddy to help them ply their skill. Most, however, were a$$holes who wanted to belittle the guide, his boat, his gear, his knowledge....basically forsake what they had hired the guide to do, only in the name of boosting their own egos. I've heard plenty of times, " Son, let me show you how we do it back home......."

"Well, you ain't at home", is what I had to resist saying to them....and I didn't always hold my tongue either. Lucky thing I got a career outside of public relations, huh ?

I ain't home either when I go to the Wind River country. I try to incorporated every tip I get from my guide. I follow his advice and savvy. He knows the local scam and I do not. Yeah, my basic hunting skills are important. His precision expertise for the area is just as important. We are lucky to hunt with the Wyoming crew that we do. They are regular old fellers just like we are. They don't pressure us to do anything their way. But they know we respect their skills and knowledge and that we are willing to take their advice and do for ourselves and don't have to be coddled. Perhaps our relationship with these cowboys is unique; other outfitters I am acquainted with are quite a bit more anal....and I guess they are because their clientele let them or want them to be that way. Our guys are more like hunting buddies who share their good fortune with us.

All in all (and most guides will tell you this), there are a lot of good folks out there who use a guide. There are just as many, however, who are arrogant and who have unrealistic expectations. The sport is still called "hunting" and that ain't the same as "killing". Most of those canned hunts you see on TV are unrealistic and thus probably contribute more than anything to the ever-growing attitude that buying a hunt is the same as buying a trophy. Sure, the kill-pens can guarantee a trophy. So can most of the private estate hunts. A guide on public lands simply cannot. Nor should he be expected to.

Don't get me wrong, I ain't lecturing you MULEYMAN, cause you know the deal. Glad you got to cruise the Wind/Big Horn river valley. Sorry you didn't see any lunkers. My local guy swears Louie Grande is still there, bigger than ever, along with several that will go 38" and one that is at least 40" !! :-$

And you know my motto,

NEVER SECOND GUESS THE GUIDE !!
"Make 'em leak"

Metz

Danthe2pointmuleyman
Spike
Spike

Post by Danthe2pointmuleyman » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:53 pm

Hey,

Thanks for the replies an keeping the topic alive. I like to say this, whether its a guide or a buddy ur hunting with....its how u hunt that makes it a sport. If ur satisfied with just waking up in the morning an drinkin a cup of coffee an round about 8 o'clock u get up on a hill see a deer an your back to camp by 10 well hey thats great. If your like me an ur up at 5 in the morning freezing ur butt off to get to a spot that u think will bring u the best of luck and get skunked lol well thats great too. I hunt with my brother, my dad and my uncle which some can say thats almost the same difference as a guide and IT IS!!!!!!!!!!! My family shares the same love for hunting as i do and so we help eachother whether its spotting deer for one another or letting the guy with the best shot take it or just helping to field dress the animal. Im a lucky guy because i dont hafta pay for them to help me, we just do it out of generosity and its great. It isnt about the guide at all its about how you hunt the animal. If your taking orders from a guide or visa versa, ur giving orders to the guide......thats not right. But if u an a guide share the same love for the sport an u act more like hunting buddies than a guide an his client well thats AWESOME an more power to you. Dont go out there in the woods if you dont respect the sport of hunting an the sport of fair chase because you dont belong in the hills. Its a long tradition that has been passed down generation to generation so dont make greed the thing of the future lets continue on keeping it real an not some rich mans sport. It's a privelage now to even have the chance to go out an experience the mtns an wildlife because there is so many that cant have the same feeling that i do when i get to go. I am spending my money in supporting the wildlife instead of spending mega bucks for the use of a guide. My money is well spent too because i am still provided with the chance to go up an get a trophy animal and all i got to do is spend many days hiking and hunting for it.....thats what the sport is about and i am helping the wildlife in the same motion. I dont diss on guides or rich people neither because guides support the wildlife only if its true wildlife. When guides get paid to have a guy shoot an animal on THEIR LAND......well that isnt helping the wildlife situation at all. The money jus goes straight to the guide to buy his new powerstroke. Hunters have a responsibility to keep public land open an wildlife healthy to provide anybody with the same chance to get their trophy an to go experience the thrill of the hunt because we all dont have thousands of dollars and we all dont have millions of acres. So theres my two cents worth and good luck with all ur hunts everyone.
Last edited by Danthe2pointmuleyman on Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Happy Trails

wyomingtrophyhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by wyomingtrophyhunter » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:33 pm

Well said, Dan.

Besides, I've got the best guide (and buddy) out in Wyoming that you can buy with Ozark mountain moonshine and Arkinsaw muscadine wine. \:D/

Life is good; luck to all.
"Make 'em leak"

Metz

Anonymous

Eastman and Majestic

Post by Anonymous » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:08 pm

I am new to this so i hope it works. Please allow me to chime in. Although I love the show, mainly because it is about the only hunting show that actually go after mule deer, apposed to whitetail, I agree whole heartedly with both of you. I hunt in Colo. and live in Calif. I can not afford to hunt private ranches either. I think very little of the huntig shows that take hunters to a planted field and set them in a heated blind while they wait for that buck that they know will come. Wheres the hunt? I hunt with family as well. Dad, brother, son, cousins and friends. We have a large group. We also help each other. If I get lucky and bag a deer, rather it be a trophy or just a meat animal, I will still get up every morning and freeze my butt off to help someone else fill their tag. It is the trip not just the hunt that makes it worth going

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:11 pm

nsearchof bigracks;
welcome aboard, i think you will find that although this site does not have the traffic that others have, it is without a doubt the best website that i visit. mainly because the folks around here are ordinary people. and they share the same enthusiasm as i do, to hunt! I also agree with you ten fold. i get really tired of watching whitetail hunts, not that i don't like whiteys, they just seem like the same old hunt, with the same old song and dance each time. i still watch, because i can't lie, i am addicted to hunting, i am sick, i have been to the doctor and there is nothing they can do about it.

one of my roommates came to the house last night with a couple bull elk that an outfitter brought in. i live in jackson hole, wyoming and believe it or not, there are very few outdoor places in town, meaning processing plants, taxidermies, gun shops, gun smiths, basically anything that has to do with hunting, is virtually none existant in jackson. anyways my roommate works at the only processing plant in town and he had to take these heads up to pinedale to a taxidermy shop. got me all excited about the up coming hunt. they were a couple 300 class bulls. CAN'T WAIT UNTIL IT IS MY TURN! only 14 more days.
IT TAKES ALOT OF SACK TO BAG A BIG RACK

Anonymous

Eastman

Post by Anonymous » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:11 pm

I have hunted Jackson hole. It was a long time ago. Only four of us went. The rest of our party did not get drawn that year. We took three deer that year but nothing to brag about. In fact one of the deer only had one antler. A three point on one side and nothing on the other. Another one of the deer had a large fork and a little crooked nubby thing on the other. All in all we were a bit disappointed in the hunt. We did not see a lot of action although we did get to see a few moose including one big bull. Our trip to Colo. is also coming up and i too am getting very eager to go. Like you I watch the hunting shows featuring whities because I can't get enough of the sport. I did hunt Idaho once for white tail but was unsuccesful. We saw fresh sign daily but very few deer. My cousin did bag a very nice buck though. Well good luck on you upcoming hunt look forward to reading the details