Drought Effects? Pics

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Drought Effects? Pics

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:10 pm

Here is an example of how the drought effected mule deer in Utah in 2002. It was the driest year that I can remember in a long, long, time.
These are both 3 points.

1st is the unhealthy deer, ribs sticking out. Very little food resources and very little water.

The 2nd picture is buck with a very full stomach with plenty of water and tons of healthy food.

You be the judge? What do you guys think?

unhealthy
healthy

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:23 pm

Nice photos, thanks. I would guess most years should be better than last in terms of moisture level and browse, especially in southern utah. Is that second picture in alfalfa? That helps too. :lol:

BOHNTR )))---------------->

Anonymous

maybe, although

Post by Anonymous » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:41 pm

Drought usually doesnt effect the mule deer's health as much as it does its potential antler growth. The top picture looks as if that deer might have a disease or might be sick. Those deer know where to get water, although the plants mights not have as much nutritional value, although they would have enough nutritional value to add fat reserves for winter. If the drought was that bad and that is why that deer's ribs are showing I would speculate that almost 3/4's of your deer heard didnt make it through the winter.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:44 am

I agree that antler growth is the most effected. I don't think the deer had any disease, just undernourished and no fat reserves. Thus the reason for his ribs sticking out. These two bucks lived within roughly 10 miles of each other. I'm sure he got water (how much?), but not good healthy food. As for the winter, I think most of them made it through the winter.

Anonymous

CWD?

Post by Anonymous » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:26 pm

maybe that second buck has CWD?

Muley_Magician
Fawn
Fawn

Morty_Pass

Post by Muley_Magician » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:12 pm

MuleyMad, Does the game and fish around your have annual winter kill surveys? If so you could call them and find out the how the deer really did, if you wanted to. It will atleast give you a good idea about how your herd is doing if you ever wanted to know for chits and giggles.

later, MP