First timer muley questions

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:51 am

I think you can still buy ND archery deer over the counter at ND Game and Fish offices and county Auditors. The same for Antelope.

As long as your taking the trip, why not spend another 200 for NR Antelope.

All the draws and coulees in that part of ND does give the Archery hunter some advantages.

loco4muleys
3 point
3 point

Post by loco4muleys » Fri May 04, 2007 11:51 pm

When you're glassing, usually you'll spot the muleys by picking out a tip of a horn or a twitch of an ear. They blend in so well in so many environments, they can be almost invisible. Most importantly, don't expect them to stand up and show themselves, no matter how close you are. Some bucks you almost have to step on. The biggest buck I've shot so far let me walk to within ten yards of him before he jumped up. And you know what? I never knew he was there.

muleystalker01
2 point
2 point

Post by muleystalker01 » Wed May 09, 2007 1:21 am

First off welcome to the site. You picked a great place to come and ask questions on muleys. In answer to your question on time of year.western ND like western SD you would do much better in late oct.through november. Spot and stalk is by far one of the better techniques for this area. and in these months I stated look for does first to see if a good buck is with them.Also be prepared for weather ranging in the high 70s all the way down to below zero.

I would also like to add that there is nothing wrong with western SD.but you will have to put in for tags as they are not over the counter.of course since there isn't a quota you don't have to worry about drawing.

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Wed May 09, 2007 8:07 pm

id say spot 'n'stalk just plan on a lot of glassing and rough hiking. i dont know a thing about nd so cant help you there. my buddies and i have used ambushing techniques too if you spot a buck and dont think you can make a very good stalk and have a good idea of the escape route (ex. like in a canyon with only one way out) some one can set up on the escape route and the other can jump them to you. not the most efficent but in same areas ive hunted its the only way to have a shot on them with a bow. but it can be frustrating if they dont take that route cause you may never see that deer again so use that for a only have to situation but in most areas that wont work very well anyway.
most of the time ive used it is for noctural bucks in tall tall sage brush when you know they are bedded some where in there but not quite sure exactly where and the only way to ever have chance at the deer is by jumping them while they are bedded but like i said you have to have a good idea of the escape route and make sure its far enough away thet they will have slowed down so you can have a shot say a couple hundred yards from the bedding area. its hard but can work i can say from experiece