FAWNS

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
shorty
2 point
2 point

FAWNS

Post by shorty » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:58 pm

I went up on the mountian today and on the way up we seen about 10 fawns. The cool thing about it this fawn wasent even a day old. And her\his mom bedded him doun right on the side of the road so i walked up to it and just looked at it it was a cool sight man i wised that i had a camera.

Has any one else seen any fawns?

Let me know

Thanks
shorty

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:34 pm

While bear hunting three weeks ago we were walking up the mountain on the same trail as the previous four days and when we topped out we jumped a cow elk. Under closer expection she had just given birth to a calf. The calf couldn't have been but 15 minutes old. It was still wet and couldn't even walk yet. We circled up the mountian to prevent startling the calf and moved on. When we came back down that night we saw the calf with its mother not 20 feet from where we saw it earlier in the moonlight. It was around 10 at night and these two elk were standing on a slope to our right, right in line with the moon. I have pictures of the calf and some video footage, it was probably one of the neatest moments of my life in the mountains. I have to tell you though this is one of the main reasons we chose to set our baits in this year, the elk use it alot for calving. The day after we seen the elk calf is where we shot the bear we killed, you can see a picture of this bear in the AnterFest '05 forum on this page. The bear was shot not but 25-30 feet from where the mother gave birth to her calf.
IT TAKES ALOT OF SACK TO BAG A BIG RACK

shorty
2 point
2 point

Post by shorty » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:54 pm

Oh i wanna see them pics its nice to see that we got some good green feed.

Arch
Spike
Spike

Post by Arch » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:02 pm

i went up last weekend and didnt' see one doe without two fawns. we were driving and i looked over and there was two just snuggled next to eachother and the mom was watching us close about 10 minutes later i shot a nice coyote... probabaly saved a few fawns

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:28 am

Arch, I'm sure you did save a few fawns. Good job! :thumb

Arch
Spike
Spike

Post by Arch » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:49 pm

heck yea i was excited i crawled for like 100 yards and popped up and there he was about 100 yards away i shto it with a 22 in the chest there tuff to bring down.

huntingal
Spike
Spike

Post by huntingal » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:42 pm

Speaking of fawns, what is the latest in the year anyone has seen one? This past September while I was bowhunting for elk I litterally almost stepped on a fawn that couldn't have been more than a few hours old. He jumped up out of the sage and wobled off to join his mother whom I had just bumped. I raise alot of cattle and know what a newborn looks and walkes like, but this fawn means the doe was bred sometime in late spring. Any thoughts?