Keating Unit

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Hitch
Fawn
Fawn

Keating Unit

Post by Hitch » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:59 pm

After a few years of drought I drew a Keating Unit hunt this year.

Trouble is I've never hunted out there and I've only been to HalfWay once for a pack trip.

Any tips ,stories,,warnings ???

Thanx

Hitch

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:10 pm

Hitch,

Welcome to MuleyMadness, which state are you from and talking about?

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:53 am

Muley madness,It's in oregon. Hitch, Deer or Elk tag?? it's big country what type of hunting do you like to do? lots of glassin there.

jpscouting
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jpscouting » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:07 pm

If you have a muley tag, hunts the open breaks above Halfway. Seen some big ones there..... If it a elk tag, you need to be up towards the Caps. Lots of bucks there last year, but if you want a big one, you need to pass up on all the small ones..... There are some bigger bucks in there. Let me know if you need my help.
JP'S Scouting Service

Hitch
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Hitch » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:26 pm

MuleyMadness wrote:Hitch,

Welcome to MuleyMadness, which state are you from and talking about?
Thanx, seems like a nice forum.

It in eastern Oregon just west of the Hells Canyon country.

Im a resident here and to get east side hunts you enter a drawing. Westdie hunts are still wide open, but eastside is much preferred. The muleys on the west side are even called a different name, blacktails.

Hitch

Hitch
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Hitch » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:35 pm

killerbee wrote:Muley madness,It's in oregon. Hitch, Deer or Elk tag?? it's big country what type of hunting do you like to do? lots of glassin there.
Pretty aint it? I love it out there. I've hunted a lot in Chesinumus and down near the CA line close to K.Falls. Nice country everywhere but the Blues and and Wallowas are magnificent and in the general area of Oregons record animals.

I usually use a slow walk, in and out of the cover. I shoot an '06 with a fairly good scope so there is plenty of reach, but I ve never killed a deer at more than 200 yards.

Thanx

Hitch

Hitch
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Hitch » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:40 pm

jpscouting wrote:If you have a muley tag, hunts the open breaks above Halfway. Seen some big ones there..... If it a elk tag, you need to be up towards the Caps. Lots of bucks there last year, but if you want a big one, you need to pass up on all the small ones..... There are some bigger bucks in there. Let me know if you need my help.
Thanx, that answers a basic question.

Which side of the unit is better? East or west,,, seems you're pointing to the east perhaps towards Cornucopia?

Considering the price of gas and a current remodeling project I just might want to make use of your service...

This year a scouting trip would be a luxery.

Hitch

jpscouting
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jpscouting » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:15 pm

When we scouted the unit, it was in the east part. Saw a bachelor group of 8 bucks with six 4 points in the group.. a couple in the 30" group. Saw a few bulls in there at the same time. We were scouting for deer for a father/son hunt. What are you planning to hunt?
JP'S Scouting Service