A few questions for someone new to muleys

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
creamernator
Fawn
Fawn

A few questions for someone new to muleys

Post by creamernator » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:28 am

Hey folks, I'm obviously new here to this board. I am a veteran whitetail bowhunter from Ohio that has a serious itch to get out west and chase some mule deer! I'm already tentatively planning a trip to Colorado next year (2008) with a few friends who have been out there several times elk hunting. I may not be new to whitetails but I have never hunted muleys before. I have a few questions for anyone willing to answer them on some basic stuff:

-I do not own a spotting scope but plan on getting one. How much power (20x, 45x, 60x?) do I need in a spotting scope?
-I am planning to bowhunt. Would it be at all worthwhile to bring along a climbing treestand or a ground blind?
-Bowhunting whitetails requires different footwear from what I gather. I'm typically wearing scent-free rubber boots that would NOT be conducive to muley country! What would be the appropriate footwear?
-And most importantly, am I insane for bowhunting and not rifle hunting on my first try?

Thanks in advance!
Aim small, miss small

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:43 am

If you care more about the hunt than filling your tag with a monster muley, you're definitely not insane for bow hunting first time out.

A climber probably won't do you much good. Muleys move around a lot and aren't as predictable as whitetails, unless they are living in riverbottoms and hitting crops. Then it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Depending on time of year, lightweight hiking boots or for snow, heavier weight boots would be better. I usually spend a lot of my time climbing so my old whitetail boots just don't cut it any more.

Spotting scopes! Resolution is far more important that power. An ultra clear 20x will be far more useful than a mediocre 60x This is going to hurt the most when you go to spend the money. Suck it up, spend the money once and consider it an investment. One really good spotting scope will last the rest of your hunting carreer. $1000 spread out over 20 years or so isn't that much. And if I could only take my own advice......
Stupidity is expensive

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:46 am

First off let me say. ::wel

Nah you're not crazy to hunt with a bow. Yes it will make it harder to close the deal, but that is why you use a bow in the first place isn't it?

If you have some knowldge of the area you plan to hunt then a treestand may be useful but I would bet that you will spend most of your time there scouting and learning where the game is at more than anything.

In open country you will want to have the best optics that you can afford. Because you will be using then alot.

You will also want to find a good set of boots to hunt in. Something with good support for your ankles and that are comfortable to wear.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

creamernator
Fawn
Fawn

Post by creamernator » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:05 pm

Thanks so much for the info and the welcome, folks.

You are dead-on: I am more interested in a great hunt than a big rack! I am interested in success, I'm not going to lie, but if I could come back with a doe I would be happy. Seeing all the mule deer hunts on videos I own and TV shows is really getting me jazzed up!

I am not 100% sure I know which area we'll be looking to hunt yet. One of my friends who wants to go next year is going this year to elk hunt again, and apparently the guys he is going with say they see tons of mule deer in this area. My pal told me he will keep an eye out for muleys, and if he likes what he sees there, we may try that area in 2008. We will be self-guided, also.
Aim small, miss small

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:25 pm

creamernator

:>HI and ::wel

Here is a link on the boot question, Danner is a popular boot out west.

http://www.muleymadness.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3357

With a bow is tougher but should be lots of fun.

Ground blind better than a stand for Mule Deer, spot and stalk is common.

I'd go with a good pair of binos over a spotting scope, but depends on the terrain also.

Cvrn
3 point
3 point

Post by Cvrn » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:10 pm

I would say if you are looking for a fun hunt and not so worried about the size DEFINATELY do it with a Bow.I am strictly a Bow hunter and just sneeking in on a buck at 20 yards and getting pictures of him is just rewarding as arrowing one.

As for a treestand it wouldnt be a bad Idea to get a lightweight Hang-on stand,I really prefer the Lone Wolf Alpha: simply lightweight and easy to move from one tree to another, if you was to stumble across a water hole while out hunting you could place the stand and sit a couple mornings and then get out and beat the brush.

Optics like someone else said get the best you can afford, I had a hard time justifying buying me Swaro spotting scope but after using it alot I was very pleased I spent the money, you will spending alot of time behind it, and if you hunt alot you will find when you have better optics you use them alot more and should last a loong time.

Good Luck.
SNUFF"M

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:57 pm

First muley hunt?Id take the rifle,you will find muleys far more difficult to pattern and spot and stalk with a bow,if you are going during rifle season its really going to be a handicap.I have killed several MD does with the bow,but during rifle season when game is a bit more spooky I wouldnt consider taking only the bow out buck hunting.It would be a shame to have a shot at one of Colorados monster bucks on what may be a one time trip and have only a bow in your hands.You need a spotting scope but you do not need a $1000 one,you can get a decent Leopold wind river scope for around 350 that will do everything you need. :222

Hiker

Re: A few questions for someone new to muleys

Post by Hiker » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:22 pm

creamernator wrote:Hey folks, I'm obviously new here to this board. I am a veteran whitetail bowhunter from Ohio that has a serious itch to get out west and chase some mule deer! I'm already tentatively planning a trip to Colorado next year (2008) with a few friends who have been out there several times elk hunting. I may not be new to whitetails but I have never hunted muleys before. I have a few questions for anyone willing to answer them on some basic stuff:

-I do not own a spotting scope but plan on getting one. How much power (20x, 45x, 60x?) do I need in a spotting scope?
-I am planning to bowhunt. Would it be at all worthwhile to bring along a climbing treestand or a ground blind?
-Bowhunting whitetails requires different footwear from what I gather. I'm typically wearing scent-free rubber boots that would NOT be conducive to muley country! What would be the appropriate footwear?
-And most importantly, am I insane for bowhunting and not rifle hunting on my first try?

Thanks in advance!
creamernator ::wel to MuleyMadness. :)

Are you and your friends going to be hunting both deer & elk? If so, are you planning a September bow hunt?
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

creamernator
Fawn
Fawn

Post by creamernator » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:27 am

On Colorado's DOW site, they have the tentative dates for 2008. We are looking at the early archery season, in late August/early September. We are not planning on going during rifle season, I was just asking if I would be better off going during rifle season and taking a gun! Like I said, we are looking at 2008, so we still have time to get everything ironed out.

Thanks for the information, folks! =D>
Aim small, miss small

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:05 am

We have a lot less hunters on the mountain during archery season, which is really nice but your odds of killing a mature muley buck will be better during rifle season. IMO 3rd season (rifle) tends to be better than 2nd (rifle) season in most of the areas. When we get good snows, the deer will start working down to lower country and the rut usually starts to kick in during the 3rd season. Keep in mind that when I say 2nd season (rifle) it is actually the 1st season for deer but the 2nd season for elk, so Colorado Division of Wildlife calls it 2nd season.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6