5%
It's not a trophy unless it makes the record book
3%

Total votes: 39

Torch
3 point
3 point

Post by Torch » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:28 pm

I just realized that I asked the question, but I didn't give my 2 cents. I don't consider whether or not a buck is a trophy based on what it scores. I know their are many variables that determine what a trophy animal is to a hunter. I just like to hunt/kill mature deer and most of them have larger racks.

The main thing I use scoring for is to tell my friends what type of buck I have seen or shot. If I tell them it was a 25" 180 class buck, then they will know it is a tall buck, with great tine length, main beams and forks. If I tell them it's a 28" 170 class 3 point, then they know it's a huge three point. Other than that, I don't really care about what a buck scores. It just has to be the type of buck I want, which will most likely be a mature buck and look good on my wall. :thumb

cowslayer
Spike
Spike

Post by cowslayer » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:37 pm

Torch,

I agree with you and I know that when you size up a deer or elk, you are pretty close to the actual score. I know others where I have to subtract 3 inches from the outside spread and subtract 10+ inches from the total score.

I think that any animal I harvest is a trophy to me! If it wasn't, I would release the arrow or pull the trigger. Thjat being said, I like to release the arrows and pull the trigger. That makes me smile :1

CS
http://www.VIPoptics.com
"When you deserve the Very Best!"

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:42 pm

If he looks like a shooter when I spot him thats good enough for me.If you get picky and start setting number limits here in MT your gonna eat alot of tag soup. :222

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:36 am

If I am blessed to harvest a game animal than it is a trophy to me.

RooDog
2 point
2 point

Post by RooDog » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:44 am

All bucks are trophies, If he looks good to me that's all I need. I sure wouldn't pass up a 190+ or a goofy looking spike. It all depends on the area I'm hunting I guess.

MTQUIVER
Spike
Spike

Post by MTQUIVER » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:20 am

I think public vs. private land plays a huge roll here. I mostly archery hunt and I agree that the 150-160"+ is a trophy but alot of factors come into play. For example: Public land DIY vs. private or guided. I think bucks with great character are trophies regardless of score. I think old heavy bucks that don't score well but are pushing the 8-10+ age class are trophies. I think if you scouted the buck all summer and then kill him it makes him a trophy...etc.
As far as mounting a buck with a bow it has to 150"+ and it has to be public land DIY. (Or it had better be a heck of a lot bigger than that.) The harder you work the greater the trophy value. Just my $.02

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:28 am

I voted 180, partially because I spend a lot of time on a Limited Entry unit and am used to seeing some nice bucks.

I wanted to vote that the score doesn't matter, but couldn't vote twice. :)

I'm not concerned about score myself, I just want a BIG BUCK. And will go after the biggest I can find or one that is unique. I like mass and trash first. I'll shoot a really tall buck over a wide willow horned buck.

Good posting Torch!

Wild Antlers
2 point
2 point

trophy

Post by Wild Antlers » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:55 am

Its a trophy to me as long as its bigger than the one I got the year before! [-o<
WILD ANTLERS

johnyutah5
2 point
2 point

Post by johnyutah5 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:28 pm

MTQUIVER wrote:I think if you scouted the buck all summer and then kill him it makes him a trophy...etc.
I agree 100%.....for me it's all about the experience and what it took to get the deer. For instance if I took a 150 buck that I scouted out, I would consider that too be much more of trophy than a 150 buck that I lucked upon standing on the side of the road.