New Mexico Unit 2b 3rd rifle?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
PJHntr
Fawn
Fawn

New Mexico Unit 2b 3rd rifle?

Post by PJHntr » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:05 am

I'm from NM and know this is a popular unit. I finaly drew this year and was just wondering what I can realistacally expect quality wise. People seem to through scores of 190 and 200 around like nothing but realistically should I drop the hammer on the first 170+ buck I see? Is this unit trully good enough to be able to pass on a deer like that? A 170 buck on the hoof looks big to me. Thanks

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:38 am

If you have scouted well and know there are 190-200 point animals you have put the eyeball on I would concentrate on those as long as your willing to dine on tag soup.

If you are going out blind and a 170 walks in front of you, I would take it in a heart beat.

Don't let a few points be the factor in a successful hunt.

Are you going guided or DIY?

PJHntr
Fawn
Fawn

Post by PJHntr » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:15 am

It's gonna be a DIY. I know the area somewhat since I've been fortunate enough to have tagged along on this hunt a few times. The problem is that I really haven't spent a lot of time out there to know what type of buck to expect. I've seen a few that would go 180 or so but each time I've gone it was only for a day or two.

crazy4hunting
Fawn
Fawn

Post by crazy4hunting » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:57 am

I grew up in Farmington and hunted this unit every year and then the unit became hard to draw and haven't hunted it for about 8 years. It has some great deer but I tell you truthfully if a 170 buck walked in front of me I would shoot it! Its like anywhere else there are not 190-200 class bucks running everywhere you have to find-em and know there habits and know the country they live in. Good luck on your hunt, you are sure to have a great hunt!

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:27 pm

I've bowhunted that unit several times in January over the years and have seen the quality of bucks there. You're right, there are not 200" bucks everywhere on that range, but I've seen a few. I've also seen and measured my fair share of bucks measuring better than 180".

You first need to realistically ask yourself what YOU are willing to settle for first. IF it was me and I had your tag (rifle 3rd season) I would think 180" minimum is a realistic goal if you're there for the entire hunt and hunt hard. If not, shoot what makes you happy no matter the score. If you're serious about tipping over a big buck.........you'll never shoot a BIG buck if your too busy gutting a good buck.

Good luck and let us know how the hunt went.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

Eastern NM hunter
Spike
Spike

Post by Eastern NM hunter » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:46 pm

I've hunted that unit a few times and I saw a couple 180+ bucks, but most were in the 160-175 range. That's still a darn good deer, heck a big fork is a good deer when you hunt hard and that's the best thing that you can find. Remember this, we're talking about the third rifle hunt. There have been 2 prior deer rifle hunts, not to mention muzzy and elk seasons... heck, I'd gladly shoot a 170, but it's up to you...........

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:27 am

Congrats on drawing the tag good luck to ya and personally I would hold out for a 170+ minium but it really depends on what youre seeing every day first
THE LORD IS MY ROCK