Well I'm back and....

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
straightshooter
Fawn
Fawn

Well I'm back and....

Post by straightshooter » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:55 pm

I was unsuccessful this year on the Beaver unit. Although I did see quite a few quality bucks this year, I just couldn't put it together this year for a kill. I did manage to shoot a couple of times, but I think that buck fever got the best of me. The highlight of my trip was that I put a stalk on a 5X5 from about 300 yards away. At first I thought he was a 4X4 but the one I was after was actually a 5X5. He was with a pretty solid 4X4 and I snuck to within 50 yards of the both of them. Earlier in the week while practicing at 50 yards, I broke my peep sight, so I wasn't able to get dialed in perfectly at 50. I was on my knees and decided if I could get to 40 yards that I would have a sure thing, as my 40 was dead on. I waited for their heads to go down to feed and then I raised up to move forward. All of a sudden a little spike that was with them busted up from the left and they all three scattered. I never even knew that little buck was there, and if he hadn't been, I would have had my own toad on the ground. Oh well the entire trip was worth it as my buddy got his first ever deer, a nice little 3X3 out of a tree stand. By the way, my entire strategy was blown this year, as my intention was to hunt entirely out of a tree stand, however on our way to Beaver, we stopped at Bass Pro in Vegas so that I could by a tree stand and to my dismay they no longer carry them. I could not believe when the dude told me that they no longer carried them because they didn't sell very many of them. have you been in that gun room in there? I know they don't sell very many of those rare guns, but they still carry them. I was very disappointed with Bass Pro and probably will take my business elsewhere from now on. Oh well there's always next year right! :arrow
I hunt Utah 'cause there's no deer in California!

treetop
Spike
Spike

Post by treetop » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:39 am

Hi Straightshooter, Glad you had a fun trip.
There is a new Sportsman's warehouse in St. George open now (Exit 10 off I-15).
they have about everything you could want.
Treetop

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:26 am

straightshooter

Thanks for the update, sounds like you still had fun and great time. At least you saw and had the opportunity at a nice buck. Always makes the trip worth while IMO.

loco4muleys
3 point
3 point

Post by loco4muleys » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:23 am

Thankfully, with this sport or hobby or obsession or whatever you call it, you can have the hunt of a lifetime without ever shooting a buck. Glad to see your friend got one though, congratulations on that. How popular is hunting mule deer with a tree stand? I haven't seen much of that before.
One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.

johnyutah5
2 point
2 point

Post by johnyutah5 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:37 am

Glad to hear that you had a good and safe time. That's what I love about bow hunting, it's not very often that everything comes together when trying to pull off a stalk, but when it does how sweet it is. There is always next time.....

dkhntrdstn
Fawn
Fawn

Post by dkhntrdstn » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:29 pm

sounds like you had a great time. that stinks they dont cary trees stands any more. well i hope every thing goes good for you next year.