Utah Success??

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Utah Success??

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:30 pm

This is all I saw the day before the opener out scouting...doesn't real mean much when your hunting Mule Deer. At least something is thriving in Utah though. :)

I did hunt pretty hard down here in the southern region. Saw TONS of hunters, lots of ATV's, and a few deer. Passed on a 2x3, and a spike opening day.

Hunted Monday after work, no bucks.

Hunted Wednesday after work and flat out blew it.

My Dad and I were out, we kept going higher and higher, the deer for the most part were gone as where the people. I was getting very discouraged and wanting to "head out". My patient and wise dad who taught me everything I know, said just a little further we might jump a ole buck that has moved off late.

Sure enough, 2 minutes later my dad jump right underneath him in some thick trees. I could see the horns and knew with only an hour left on the last day he was shooting material.

He ran down and across the canyon, I knew he was coming my way. All of a sudden there he was right in front of me on the dead run. I pulled up for a quick standing shot and flat out missed. I was sick about my poor shot, only had one shot and he was gone.

He was a pretty buck, very healthy and FAT looking. I think he was a straight 4-point. Nothing huge, but very pretty. I would have like to get him, just blew it. ](*,)

At least I saw a shooter finally, good times and a miss to remember. How did everyone else do?

hilltop
Fawn
Fawn

Post by hilltop » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:45 am

MY STORY GOES ALOT LIKE YOURS. WE SAW THREE GOOD BUCKS THIS YEAR AND COULD NOT GET CLOSE ENOUGH, I DID GET A SHOT OFF AT THE LAST ONE ON THE LAST DAY AND SHOT UNDER HIM, ONLY TO HAVE ANOTHER GUY SHOOT HIM, :>/ SO AT LEAST YOUR BUCK MIGHT BE STILL RUNNING AROUND.

Kirby
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Kirby » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:57 pm

I can't wait to try turkey hunting, only thing we have is grouse.

Kirby
When in doubt, floor it.

tylercreek2
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tylercreek2 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:18 am

we saw tons of deer just all does and all scattered out mostly one or two does with twins at a time , had some horse guys run a nice one by me , no shot just kinda waved as he flew by :) and other than that didnt even SEE a buck big or little ,,, normally we see anywhere from 2 or 3 to 8 or 9 lil guys a day and 3 or 4 or so nice bucks per trip ,,, this year nothing ,,, hey ARCH you out there ? how did you guys do ? and where did all the little bucks go ? first year ever for me i didnt at least get a chance for meat in the freezer ,,,, deer were all healty just seemed to be scattered all over ,,,, we saw very few hanging/dead deer also ,,, always next year , might try getting southern zone again dunno ,,, we always did well around boulder mt ,,,

texscala
Fawn
Fawn

Post by texscala » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:51 pm

My Utah hunt wa fun but did'nt even see one buck. We Walked for miles and miles. I had scouted alot before the season and had seen a fair amount of bucks. I imagine we walked close to 30 miles over a four day period. We saw well over 70 head of deer but not a single buck. We did get within 30 yards of a whole bunch of does and even closer to a cow moose but just could not find any bucks. From what I understand most of the state had the same problem.

Next year my wife and I are going out to Ohio to visit family for the Holidays and I am pretty sure that the hunting experience will be a bit diferent out there.
If you're not bleeding you are not having fun.

browtine
Fawn
Fawn

Post by browtine » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:31 pm

Brett,

I thought for sure with some of the scouting pictures you posted that this was your year!!
I was fortunate enough to take this buck on the second to last day. 29 inches wide, scores just over 190.
Last edited by browtine on Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Later, Brandon

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:02 pm

Browtine,

Congrats! What a BEAUTIFUL buck, your a lucky man. You must work hard. :)

I was hoping for a decent buck, sure wish I could hunt those limited entry units more often. Then I'd be real excited. That's okay though, I saw some great bucks during the summer and got some great footage of some of them.

Saw one of the widest bucks of my life this summer, never could get footage or find him during the day. I guessed him at 33", we later came up with a better measurement of about 35 1/2". Sure like to know if someone took him or takes him still.

browtine
Fawn
Fawn

Post by browtine » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:25 pm

Thanks about the buck. Wish I could tell you I worked my arse off for him.. But truth is, I was shocked to see him and kill him at 50 yards :dumb
I've known about him for two years, but I never would have guess he would grow that big, stay alive, and be on public ground 24/7.

I have never drawn an LE tag in UT. Wish I could.
After some of the pics I have seen this year, I am almost willing to throw away my points on a book cliffs tag.. that unit had an awesome year.

Here are some smaller buck's that made it thru the hunts.. He may be a good'n if he would grow some beams.
Later, Brandon

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:19 pm

Brandon,

That first picture is beautiful. What type of camera and lens are you using?

Thanks
brett

browtine
Fawn
Fawn

Post by browtine » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:38 pm

Thanks for the compliment... Im using the nikon D50 DSLR with the sigma 50-500mm lense. That buck was pretty awesome. He never really knew what I was until he was pretty close (30 yards). Then he was history. Here is one more of him and a few I took tonight.. The bucks keep rolling in with the rut in full swing.

a few others.

Later, Brandon