first time mule deer hunting, lots of questions

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
wiszard
Fawn
Fawn

Post by wiszard » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:48 pm

I always hunt with a bipod. I have for 10 years and I don't miss game. The additional pound doesnt bother me. A clean kill is more important to me. The best shot originates from a good rest. You also need a higher power spotting scope....unless you like to walk a lot!!

Wiszard

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:10 am

horse sense, the first thing you need to do is get maps. Go to the MT FW&P website and go to hunting then to hunt planner. Find the block management section and send for information on region 6. Then send for BLM maps. Buy the ones named Glasgow, Fort Peck East, Ophiem, Whitewater, and Fort Peck West.

Maps are VERY important for a few reasons. 1, most of the land is private, and there is no visible way to tell the difference. You DON'T want to be caught on private land without permission. 2, This is big country, many miles between gas stations, coming out you could easily take a dead end road.3, get your hunting spot all figured out before you go, by having the right maps you can do this.

Do you have B licenses, or the Deer Combo? Why N of Glasgow? The rough country is to the South.

horse sense
Fawn
Fawn

Post by horse sense » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:56 am

Thanks wanyedevore for the info.
I will start the map process today. I'm still confused about block management section. The land we are going to hunt is North of Glasgow I believe. (based on second hand information from my buddy that has talked to his relatives that live in Glasgow) Can I get the block management information from the landowner? We have been trying to hunt here for the last four years and have not drawn a deer tag. this year we applied for and got a deer/elk combo tag. It was more $, but we got the tag. I don't know what we wil do with the elk tag, as there are not elk in this part of Monatana, but we are really only after Mule deer. This land you refer to south of Glasgow is it public? If so can we just find a spot on the map that looks good and have a go at the area? In Alabama, almost all public land is in managment areas and they are very heavily hunted (and only on certain days) so we tend to shy away form them for safety reasons. Thanks for your help. I am getting very excited about this hunt as it will be my first hunt outside of the south.

BIGBUCKCRAZY
Spike
Spike

Post by BIGBUCKCRAZY » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:31 pm

killerbee wrote:
NONYA wrote:There is a big BLUE TONGUE outbreak up in that region killing off the deer and antelope,check before you go and find out the effected areas and plan around that.
alright nonya--- what the ^%$#@ is a " blue tongue" outbreak???? :)) seriously i've never even heard of it :dumb
I believe its a virus that affects goats sheep and deer (I dont know about elk or other animals) and it makes thier mouth swell up and they cant eat or swallow so the y get weak and drool so it looks horrible but I dont think its fatal. dont Quote me on any of this though.
What have ya got if ya haven't got a story?