im off again

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:39 pm

callofthewild wrote.

if i were to have those tags i would be in disguise while on the hunt.

To me this implies that CB should be ashamed or feel guilty about what he is doing.

I was once told that one of the prices of living in this great country is that we have to tolerate other peoples beliefs even when they are not the same as our own.

To watch all of this fighting between fellow hunters puzzles me. (???)

CB,

Great pictures on a fine doe. :thumb

Can't wait to hear the story.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:13 pm

thank you a_bow_nut i will have the story in a bit
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne

Spike
Spike

Post by 270 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:22 pm

treetop wrote:Callofthewild, one of the things that we all like so much about this forum is that there isn't any of the holier-than-tho attitude that was so bad on the old Utah DWR forum.
We welcome you to MM but I'd ask that you and others please keep your posts positive and up beat.
We all have a right to believe as we please, but we don't have the obligation to try and convert everyone else to our idea of "right"
If he has doe and cow tags, wish him luck. If that is too much against your grain then say nothing.
WOW.... I thought you didn't like holier-than-tho attitudes.... :-k

we do have a right to believe as we please.. correct me if I'm wrong.. but doesn't callofthewild have a right to believe as he believes....but as long as he keeps it to himself?? now that doesn't seem right! he wasn't trying to convert anyone.. at least what I read.. but then maybe some posts were deleted... IMHO (???)

callofthewild
2 point
2 point

Post by callofthewild » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:48 pm

just one post was deleted 270. it was not even related to this topic though.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:05 pm

Actually several posts "IN" this topic were deleted, lets just be friends and let this die.

I don't have a problem with friendly, helpful discussion, not not tearing each other down.

Brett

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:32 pm

Coloradobuck, CONGRATS on some FINE table fare!

I've shot quite a few in my days and loved every one of them.

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:55 pm

thank you AGCHAWK :thumb
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:39 pm

I know I am running the risk of starting this up again but I wanted to throw my two-cents worth out there anyway. Please take it for what it's worth (Probably not much though...LOL).

For those of you that disagree with the harvesting of does, that's cool. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and you don't have to hunt them if you do not want to.

However, the harvesting of does (and cows for that matter) is an essencial part of game management.

To start, does can live for as long as 15 years (and sometimes longer under ideal conditions) while most bucks live no longer than around 9 years. This is mainly due to the bucks "more rough" lifestyle they lead while battling for dominance, breeding rights, etc. Therefore, left unchecked, the population can increase rather rapidly with does far out-numbering the bucks.

Typically, most management plans shoot for around 9-12 bucks per every 100 does (this ratio does vary from region to region, state to state) as a "post-hunt" minimum ratio. This not only keeps the population at manageable levels, it helps ensure that the vast majority of does are bred by the more dominant, healthy bucks.
If does were bred regularly by weaker bucks with "lesser" genes, this would adversely effect the overall health/fitness of the herd (I am not saying it does not happen...it does. However, with less does and a better buck-to-doe ratio it helps ensure that the bigger, healthier bucks make the rounds more efficiently.)

Additionally, overpopulation is a major concern. If a population/meta-population is allowed to overpopulate then you run the risk of overgrazing, increased mortality, weaker heards, and a much more rapid spread of diseases and parasites. To keep the population in check and at proper/near proper buck-to-doe ratios you must kull a certain number of females.

Various state's game departments, DNR's, etc review population numbers, mortality rates, hunter harvest numbers, etc at regular intervals to ensure that the populations are healthy and in check. These numbers in turn help dictate the number of antlerless permits/tags that are allowed in each region, GMU, etc. They also help dictate how many buck tags, special permits, depredation permits, etc will/can be issued.

Again, we are all entitled to our own opinions and that's fine. I just wanted to help folks form a more informative opinion on this subject. You can agree, disagree, refute my thoughts and opinions, etc. That's fine with me.

See Colorado, you're doing your part to help ensure the future health/fitness of the Mule deer population is at optimal levels! Thanks man!
Last edited by AGCHAWK on Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:14 am

=D> couldn't have said it better myself =D> =D>

J0n
Spike
Spike

Post by J0n » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:46 pm

Man Hawk were gonna miss you while youre gone! Well done Colorado buck!!!