What is Wrong with the Paunsaugunt Hunt?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
brine
Fawn
Fawn

What is Wrong with the Paunsaugunt Hunt?

Post by brine » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:04 pm

The report I am getting back is that the regular and ML hunts were only fair to poor for anything over a 24" rack.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:23 pm

To many tags, cougars, some gene pool cleaning is in store.

To many killed from Poaching, Highways, to many on Private Land, and to many move into Arizona and never make it back.

But the weather was part of the problem this year also, to hot.

having said that they is still some good bucks left, just not as many.

You know someone with a tag?

brine
Fawn
Fawn

Post by brine » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:10 pm

I know a person who went down there on the ML hunt with high expectations and came back with a 24" buck. Talked to a taxidermist who told me that the quality of the unit has really gone down this year.

There is a rumor in the mill that the Henry Mountain might have double the permits this next year and by the quality of bucks that are coming off of that unit, waiting might be worth it to go there.

brine
Fawn
Fawn

Post by brine » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:11 pm

I forgot to mention that I'll have 11 points this next year.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:01 pm

I agree I spent 10 days out there on the ML hunt a big problem was the tempatures 70+ degrees in the afternoons. From what I have heard/ seen quite a few deer are still high. Any way I'm hoping that was the case. I'll be out there a lot from now until the end of December so I'll report what I find.

I don't agree with Brett on the Arizona thing, cause when I had a 12B late tag two years ago all the big bucks were on the Pauns!

callofthewild
2 point
2 point

Post by callofthewild » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:08 pm

i am not sure there is a whole lot wrong with the pauns. i think that everyone who draws one of the premium le deer tags think that in order to have a succesful hunt one must put down a 200" class or better buck. i will not lie if i drew one of those tags that is what i would go after.

i think that the weather has a lot to do with the lack of big boys showing up during daylight hours. after the archery and rifle hunts they are most likely totally nocturnal right now bedding before the sun even comes up. with the warm weather keeping them holed up in the cover of the trees.