Fawn

how about unit 11 in Colorado is it worth the trouble

Post by Montnanamuleycrazy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:31 am

looking for god size mule deer and elk...any suggestions

FastGM3
Fawn
Fawn

Post by FastGM3 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:18 pm

We went 0-7 hunting for Deer and Elk in GMU 11 this year. Hunted the 2nd rifle season, setup camp in shorts and t-shirts. Got up to the top of the mountain the day before the hunt for scouting and seen 5 bucks. Got back up on Opening day and had a couple shots at some average 4 pointers but missed at 350 yards.

Then had about 8inches of snow, 2 days later it all melted and the roads were a muddy mess with ruts 12- 16 inches deep couldn't back on top. Broke down camp in shorts and t-shirts. Hot then cold then hot again, I'm sure the full moon didn't help either.

There was more pressure and more quads than I've ever seen. Did see a few nice bucks and 2 bulls hanging in other camps. Mostly does hanging everywhere else. Didn't have a doe tag.

GMU 11 and 211 are hit and miss, typically we average a 50% harvest out of the last 20 years, this year was the worst.

Because we've done well in GMU 11 in the past and know the area pretty good we also tend to go back. However after everyone getting skunked and working our butts off doing drives through the pinions we may be looking for a new area next year.

The oil companies have really tore up some of the land there over the last few years. They laid a section of pipe from Piannace creek to Wyoming, they had to clear cut everything in it's path and the clear cut must be 75 yards wide.

So, I don't know if it's worth it or not. There is some real good private ranches in the Meeker area. So if you considered doing a guided hunt then I'd say go for it.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:38 pm

The info posted is Very accurate I would not spend my time in 11 but not to say it is not worth hunting dpends what youre after I guess
THE LORD IS MY ROCK