What do u consider a trophy typical

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
crazycanuck
Fawn
Fawn

What do u consider a trophy typical

Post by crazycanuck » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:30 pm

What does a muley have to score in your mind to be considered a true trophy. and another question, how do u guys post pics on here.

BCBOY
Spike
Spike

Post by BCBOY » Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:04 pm

I've got pretty high standards for myself. Personally, a typical has to have some really deep forks, great height and some decent mass for me to even consider him. I would consider any typical that grosses over 190 or nets 180 or better to be a fine trophy.
"Trophy value is not always a measure of tine and beam. It may be just a measure of hard, solid hunting in which both man and deer conducted themselves well, so that neither was shamed." - John Madson, "Why Men Hunt"

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:56 pm

Images can indeed be shown in your posts. However, there is no facility at present for uploading images directly to this board. Therefore you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.some-unknown-place.net/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor to images stored behind authentication mechanisms such as Hotmail or Yahoo mailboxes, password-protected sites, etc. To display the image use either the BBCode [img] tag or appropriate HTML.

Or if you don't have access to a sever, you can email them to me, I'll upload them to our sever and then give you the url address so you can post them.

As far as the trophy is concerned, I would considered a 200" buck a true trophy. However, this isn't realistic for many hunters. Boone and Crocket score needs to be 180 to make the "Book".

Hope this helps, welcome aboard.

akw270

Post by akw270 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:00 pm

well it depends on how far and long you hiked to get him!

Low B&C bucks are definitly trophy's. But Ive seen some awesome bucks that didnt make B&C. If the deer is over 28 inches wide he is in my "trophy" book.

here is a link that might give you a little more info on posting pics once you have them uploaded to a web server.

http://www.muleymadness.com/forum/faq.php?mode=bbcode#9

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:47 am

I AGREE WITH A FEW PEOPLE HERE WHEN THEY SAY THAT A TROPY IS ALL IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER, THE RACK IS NOT THE ONLY ASPECT OF A HUNT THAT MAKES IT A SUCCESSFUL ONE. I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT THE ACTUAL HUNT MAKES A TROPHY A TROPHY.
TO ME PERSONALLY I AM LOOKING FOR A REAL BIG TYPICAL, I DONT KNOW MAYBE 34 TO 35 WIDE 29 INCH MAIN BEAMS, AT LEAST 6 INCH BASES, 25 TO 27 TALL AND GOOD DEEP FORKS. SO BASICALLY NOTHING LESS THAN 195 B&C POINTS. WOULD PERSONALLY BE CLASSIFIED AS TROPHY IN MY EYES.
LIKE I SAID EARLIER THOUGH, PROBABLY THE BEST TROPHY I EVER GOT I DID NOT ACTUALLY SHOT HIM, ONE OF MY BUDDIES DID, BUT I HUNTED HARD FOR TWO WEEKS FOR THIS PARTICULAR DEER AND ALTHOUGH I DID NOT GET TO PUT MY TAG ON HIM I WAS JUST AS THRILLED WHEN MY FRIEND DID. THE PICTURE OF THIS DEER IS IN THE PHOTOS SECTION UNDER SCOTT HOLDEN AND MY BUDDIES NAME IS ANDY S. NOT THE BIGGEST DEER ALIVE BUT NONE THE LESS A WORTHY TROPHY. 8)
IT TAKES ALOT OF SACK TO BAG A BIG RACK

Danthe2pointmuleyman
Spike
Spike

Post by Danthe2pointmuleyman » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:40 pm

Ok Ok you may say a trophy is scorin 180 or 190 but i say honestly a trophy is something u sweated and hiked ur butt off for and spent a week not takin a shower and wakin up an hour or two before sunrise and not gettin back until an hour or two after sunset. A trophy is something you will remember and cherish forever. lol might be a two point or it might be da big ol' muley either or could be a trophy in my book.
Happy Trails

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:29 am

Danthe2pointmuleyman:

hey man i totally agree with you, like i said previously trophy quality is all in the eyes of the beholder. what truely makes a great trophy is if you your self appreciate the rack that he bears, heck it may even be a slopehead. i don't know,,,,,, if your happy then that is all that matters. i personally hunted late season cow elk for about three years because the pressure to hunt the bulls was getting to be too much for me. about four years ago i went to one of my favorite spots for opening morning, confident this ridge would produce a good bull as it has for me twice before. when i got there some body had a camp set up right where i planned on hunting. aahhhhhhhhh the joys of hunting public land. ooooohhh well it is not my place to tell everyone i encounter while hunting what i think they are doing wrong. the point is is that after that i decided to hunt cows for a few years as i had reached my last nerve with people. and in those three years i killed one cow and it was the hardest elk i had ever killed to date. so i was very proud of this elk and in my eyes she was a trophy. but the thing is is that crazycanuck wanted to know score wise what i personally would classify a trohy buck and the answer to that is nothing less than 195 B&C points, that would be a true wallhanger in my book. my all time goal is to put a tag on a buck that will surpass the all time boone and crocket minimum score.
IT TAKES ALOT OF SACK TO BAG A BIG RACK

shedhunter
Spike
Spike

Too High!

Post by shedhunter » Thu May 20, 2004 12:35 am

Ha Ha Ha! 195, 200??? These bucks are pretty huge! My self would love to kill a book typical, but a general season deer if you could get a 170 buck I'd have to say that would be a good general trophy. A draw N/T buck would be a different story. Any fool that shoots a buck under 200" either didn't do his homework or just plain lazy and couldn't find one off the graded road. Draws are cake for a trophy of a lifetime, its the big general bucks that get me pumped! They are just that much harder to get!
~shedhunter~

YoungBuck
Fawn
Fawn

Post by YoungBuck » Thu May 27, 2004 7:23 am

Shedhunter....anyone that shoots a buck under 200" is lazy? I dont know about anyone else....but there arent big bucks around every corner....just because you have a draw tag doesnt mean that bucks come out of the sky just for the occasion. The chances of seeing or harvesting a big buck during the season depends on alot of different factors...not just drawing a tag.
YB

Anonymous

TROPHY DEER

Post by Anonymous » Thu May 27, 2004 10:38 am

A trophy is any mature deer killed by fairchase methods , no Quads , no aircraft . A trophy is 'earned' not 'purchased'. The Boone and Crockett book has lost alot of credibility in many hunters opinions due to the wealthiest segment of the hunting population 'buying' trophy animals , shot on private property , with a guide doing all the scouting , glassing , patterning etc.
Any slob with enough money can write a check , pull the trigger and make the book .
It's not a trophy , it's a purchase .