Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
southwind
Monster
Monster

Re: Gutless butcher technique

Post by southwind » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:34 pm

GB,
As much as you wish no reply I have to respectfully disagree. In terms of beef the only thing you would leave would be the rib meat. In terms of pronghorn that I spoke to, I want to see the meat from the ribs you save. I mentioned the tenderloin and proutdoors addressed that. And just because you use this method does not mean you immediately debone the animal...I don't do that until at least the next day. I hang wrap and cool the quarters, backstaps and neck meat.

The only meat that I know of on the inside is the tenderloin and I think poking a hole past the last rib should gain you access to that (as per pro). You can still cut the flank off without gutting so what meat would you lose?

There are those that do enjoy the liver and heart and you would lose those but otherwise I don't see all the meat you are talking about losing.

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:49 am

Fat beef are not Deer! They have great meet between the bones on the ribs. Deer and goat do not you can not even make jerky out of that meet I tried. Elk however do have a little more but it is still not like farm raise,grazed cows. Beef so not have stress and do not run every day of their lives to survive, making fatty meats (the best cuts and most tender) hard and tough lean muscle. Let’s compare apples to apples not apples to cheese cake.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

Torch
3 point
3 point

Post by Torch » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:35 am

GB,

We can all post our opinion on a public forum even though it may be different than yours. I don't think you should post an opinion and expect people not to reply just because they disagree with you. People on here tend to respectfully disagree with each other and not attack people personally. I don't see any problem with that. We all have an opinion.

In my humble opinion butchering animals proffesionaly in a controlled enviroment and butchering wild animals in an uncontrolled enviroment are very different. I have been using the gutless method for years, since I tend to hunt a long ways away from roads. I have used this technique on buffalo, elk, and deer. On the buffalo hunt we tried to get one close to a road, because of the size of the animal. It didn't work that way and the only the only trees around to hang the meat in were cedars. Do you think hanging the meat in the cedars would keep it out of reach of the critters all night? We didn't and so we boned it out and got it off the moutain that night. I shot a buck in the high country of Wyoming 5 years ago and we hung the meat up over night. When I got back into the area the next morning I found that a bear had gotten to it first.

I will do whatever I can to get the meat off the moutain and/or out of reach of other critters. In my opinion you stand to lose a lot more meat by leaving an animal over night than you do by using the gutless method. I will continue to use this method and I believe other hunters who backpack hunt will benefit if they know how to do it. We hang the meat every night and then put it in coolers during the day if we have them. If not we put it in a sleeping bag to keep it cool. The meat ends up tasting good to us which is all that matters, since we are the ones eating it.

skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Post by skull krazy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:56 pm

I have been guiding for 14 years now and have used this technique the whole time, it works great and save from a big mess!! 10sign:
SKULL KRAZY
"No Bones About It"

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:28 pm

I've used this method for years........hard to bring a deer to a butcher when you're 8-10 miles in the wilderness with nothing but a frame pack. :thumb
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

Buck Fever
3 point
3 point

Post by Buck Fever » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:35 am

BOHNTR wrote:I've used this method for years........hard to bring a deer to a butcher when you're 8-10 miles in the wilderness with nothing but a frame pack. :thumb
+1
Must be mentally focused at all times!!

Big Moose
Spike
Spike

Post by Big Moose » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:04 am

Yeah, I'm with graybeard. We have always gutted them out and taken the liver and heart and of course the filets. Then we bone them out. It may not be quicker, but I can gut a buck in under ten minutes. Depending on the size of the animal, I'll take a half or quarter with me and hang the rest in a tree and come back later (with help) for the rest. Just the way I was brought up I guess.

Now days I worry about the antlers still being there when I get back. Moose ($$)
Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up