Winter: How bad was it?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
daveytech
Fawn
Fawn

Winter: How bad was it?

Post by daveytech » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:37 am

This topic has probably been covered well but now that people have been out scouting I want to ask.

Did the winter take a toll on the areas that you hunt?

Are you seeing less older or younger deer?

Thanks!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Winter: How bad was it?

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:48 am

No effect in my area, Southern Utah.

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:21 pm

Im still seeing fawns with spots here. We had a really bad winter and im guessing we're gonna have a early winter this year by the feeling in the mornings.
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:42 pm

I've been hunting the Wasatch Extended Area and up here it seems like business as usual. I had an elk herd of 10 cow and 13 calf come about 50 yards from where I was hunting and many of the calf were tiny. So it seems like the elk did fine, and I haven't noticed a drop off in the deer either as I saw 20+ in two days. I actually killed a 3x3 yesterday that was very healthy and plump. I heard the north and northeastern units were hit the hardest. Can anyone confirm that?
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

WillysDad
Spike
Spike

Post by WillysDad » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:39 pm

I think they estimated a 2/3 mortality rate here for mule deer fawns. No indication if it was from wolves, etc.. or the long winter. Our last snow storm was June 26th.
The more people I meet the more I prefer dogs!

daveytech
Fawn
Fawn

Post by daveytech » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:47 am

WillysDad: That mortality rate sounds pretty bad to me. What was the source of that information?

That is unfortunate because I really, really like Idaho. Could wolves really be responsible for so many deaths?

BTW: MuleyMadness - I like the site/forum update. Nice and clean.

WillysDad
Spike
Spike

Post by WillysDad » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:05 pm

Not sure where I read that. Wolves are for sure taking their toll. Here in eastern Idaho we recieved somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 in. of snow. I was still snowboarding through June and would have been still into July had I not broke my ankle. I'll search for the source of the info. I have to say that I have not seen a single fawn this whole summer. :>/I've been scouting in unit 67 mostly and a bit in 65. I've seen lots of does! I hope someone comes in and tells me I had heard that info incorrectly. I'll check the Fish&Game.
The more people I meet the more I prefer dogs!

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:29 pm

Havent been out scouting much, but during the winter we saw less and less last years faws as the winter progressed. Winter grounds for the area i hunt had probably 4-5 feet of snow, hard for the deer to survive that.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:02 am

Doesn't look like the winter hurt them in southern Utah but the lions and coyotes have been whacking them pretty good. Less than 30% of the does have a fawn with them. The dogs were out every night chasing which put the deer out of the area occasionally. We had two bucks leave abrubtly and when we left the stand about 100 yards away there were the tracks of a large lion in the dust over our tracks.
Mark

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Post by Huge29 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:17 pm

Price DWR office indicated that the estimate for that area was 60% mortality this year vs Anis, I think it was him, indicated that the state long-term average is about 40%, which may indicate not nearly as big of a problem as I had expected from what I am seeing out there.