Opening Archery lets hear the stories

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Opening Archery lets hear the stories

Post by one hunting fool » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:01 pm

Well my son and I had a lot of fun but no venison in the freezer “yet”. Opening morning found us a little behind the deer with no shot opportunity. So we got out of the area without spooking them to bad so we could hunt the next morning. We went to where the private property is and bumped three 4 points out and Taylor could not get his arrow out of the quiver fast enough. But the deer knew we where there and we could not get closer than 80 yards. There was a 2 point that came within 35 yards but he was set on the 4 points and I didn’t disagree. They got out of there safe that mooring and we decided this was where we would spend the evening hunt if we didn’t get one later. We headed to another property, and to my surprise the deer where not there. As we left for lunch I saw a few guys dragging a nice buck to the road (public land) it turned out to be one of the bucks we where seeing on the private side he was working his way across the field and crossed the road in front of these guys (who turned out to be pretty cool) as they where heading to breakfast one got a shat at the better of the bucks a 3x4 I had seen bedding on the land we hunt. I told them I was happy for them. The only bad part is the scattered the herd away from the land we planned on hunting. So that area was shot for the next few days. I plan on hitting it by my self next week. Unless my son makes it down (its his moms weekend so cross your fingers) so the night hunt got screwed also, they where cutting. For some reason all the does came back to the field but not one buck was with them. So in the morning we got set up and almost everything was perfect. The deer where on the wrong side (where we where the day before) this time I drove over to what side leaving my son where we where. There where 3 bucks the nice three point here
and another 3 point and a 2 point. I started toward them to drive them to my son. And he nice 3 point was standing broad side at 67 yards looking away from me. I was planning on shooting but it was such a nice shot I decided to take it. I pulled back and released my 60 yd pin sitting right under his spine under his shoulder. The arrow dropped short. Under his belly (that will teach me not to shoot my broad heads to make sure the distance is the same at 60yrds), I missed clean. The deer all ran right to my son who in his excitement pulled the knock off the string and his arrow dropped to the ground. He put the arrow back on now the 2 point was coming up and did the same thing. (afterword I talked to him about taking his finger off the arrow when pulling it back) the night hunt found him pulling back on the same running 3 point at 60 yrds and not releasing because the deer would not stop. I am proud of him and hope we get many more hunting opportunities in our future years. This was his first year hunting deer and I think I hooked him for life. Next year I told him I would buy him his own bow, he is so excided. I am too to tell you the truth.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Opening Archery lets hear the stories

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:19 pm

Good tales there my friend, thanks for sharing. :thumb

Keep at it and best of luck.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:02 pm

Someone in our party missed a nice 3x3, 25-26" wide and maybe 150 class range. They also saw that biggest buck in our video and it's alot bigger now but no shot could be had at the big boy. We did see several nice bucks and alot of hunters but nobody else in our canyon.
There's always next year

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:12 pm

Hunting fool, good stories! I hope you or your son connect on one of those bucks. Good luck!
Here is my story from yesterday's hunt.

Enjoy...
http://www.muleymadness.com/forum/viewt ... f=5&t=6606
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

GRAYLIGHT
Spike
Spike

Post by GRAYLIGHT » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:37 pm

I'm rooting for you and your boy Brian! Hopefully you can get it done soon I know you boy's have been at it! :thumb
Bow hunting is not my SPORT it's my PASSION!

utahpredator_7
Spike
Spike

Post by utahpredator_7 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:53 pm

I was 15 feet from a 25-26 inch 3x4, about a 160-170 class deer, shot at the wrong deer and missed it, and had to watch him run away.
We should let druggies overdose, gays get married, and in a couple generations there would be no more democrats!

phutch30
Fawn
Fawn

Post by phutch30 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:44 am

I am heading over to my deer unit (basically once-in- a lifetime tag) for Sat opener. Ive spent 8 day this month over in the Bitteroot scouting. Ive looked over 102 bucks. Out of those ive seen 4 in the 170's, 2 for sure and maybe 3 in the 180's and I think I have a 190 class located. At least his forks and main beam length tell me hes in that class. Guess where Im going to be at daylight tomorrow. Man Im stoked.

northern
2 point
2 point

Post by northern » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:00 am

phutch30 wrote:I am heading over to my deer unit (basically once-in- a lifetime tag) for Sat opener. Ive spent 8 day this month over in the Bitteroot scouting. Ive looked over 102 bucks. Out of those ive seen 4 in the 170's, 2 for sure and maybe 3 in the 180's and I think I have a 190 class located. At least his forks and main beam length tell me hes in that class. Guess where Im going to be at daylight tomorrow. Man Im stoked.
Good luck tomarrow. 4c xcrossx

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Post by AntlersOutWest » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:15 pm

My bear hunt has been going on during the archery hunt. Needless to say Ive been having a blast chasing bear and dogs but the bowhunters havent been really happy with us!! lol

phutch30
Fawn
Fawn

Post by phutch30 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:40 pm

I looked over 46 bucks during the last 3 days. I pass on two good deer. The first was at 8am opening morning. He was a nice 5x5 27" wide that was about 175". Really pretty deer. I wish his g3 had forked a little lower on the g2s. We looked over 31 bucks on the opener from spikes the the 175" buck. I had a chance to shoot a cow elk at 22 yards but didnt want to tag a cow on opening day. On Sunday went found another really pretty buck. This one wasnt as wide about 25" but he was tall. We figured his G2's were 16-17 with decent forks, 10" fronts and he was really heavy. Little weak on the main beams. We tallied him out at about 178. This morning I only saw 2 bucks on was a high 160 class and the other was in the 150's. I did have a black bear cub walk within 10 feet of me while I was glassing. I dont think he weighed 35lbs.