Kaibab Mountain Lions

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Kaibab Mountain Lions

Post by tommycaller » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:41 pm

I was just wondering......I will be hunting the 12 a west early hunt and I heard I can buy a mountain lion tag while I am there. I plan to concentrate on getting a nice mulie, but do you guys frequently see the lions or is it crazy to think about buying a tag???? I guess there are bison tags available as well. I have no idea of how much the tags are. :-k
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"

MT Backcountry
Spike
Spike

Re: Kaibab Mountain Lions

Post by MT Backcountry » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:06 am

Unless you hunt with hounds, finding cats is luck no matter where you hunt. Even in areas with high densities of cats, it is pretty rare that you'll see them. I guess the question is whether the additional cost of a lion tag is worth the slight chance that you might see one. I'm sure the mule deer wouldn't mind if there was one less cat on their backs...

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:58 am

Tommy I have to agree with MT Backcountry. I have hunted the high desert back home a lot for mule deer and we have very high #s of cats around. I have only seen one cat in the past 5 years though without using hounds... I guess if that tag is cheap you may as well get one but if it stretches your wallet at all I would pass. Good luck on your hunt though!!!
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:05 am

Don't know the price on a lion tag, but don't think it's to much money.

I agree lots of Lions but sightings are rare, however ever year there seems to be a hunter or 2 that has one walk up the water they are sitting on and a tag in pocket means a dead lion.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:47 am

I've seen two lions in my life and both times it was too brief to have killed them. But it would be a good thing if you killed one. The opportunities in most units would increase for hunters if managing the wildlife wasn't left up to the predator population. Good luck.
Mark