Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
fly741
Fawn
Fawn

Plateau Thousand lakes unit for deer?

Post by fly741 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:02 pm

Hi,
I’m wondering if any of you have had any experience on the Plateau Thousand lakes unit for deer? I’m very interested on what caliber of Bucks rut\winter on the unit during the month of November and also how accessible the unit is during November i.e. truck access, four wheeler access? I am looking at units to put in for next year and this of course it the easiest unit to draw. I am planning on a trip down this November but would like to hear what your experiences have been?

Thank you,

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: Plateau Thousand lakes unit for deer?

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:21 am

I have never personally had a tag for the unit but have helped some friends hunt both elk and deer there. My buddy took a nice 4x4 muley there two years back. As far as accessiblility during that time of year. It all depends on the weather! You know how it is in Utah there could be a foot of snow or still dry and warm. There are some pretty good trails for 4 wheelers and the roads are usually in pretty good shape. I would suggest getting away from the roads as far as you can on a trail and hiking. There are some real good bucks there but they are smart and hard to get to. Hope it helped a little.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

fly741
Fawn
Fawn

Post by fly741 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:53 am

sneekeepete,
Thanks for the info.. I forgot to mention that I am confined to a wheelchair so there wont be much hiking for me. I will be able to hunt through November when the bucks are stinky and dumb.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:04 am

Come on Fly! After seeing that bull elk you already harvested you can't use that as an excuse! :thumb

Just kiddin' ya bud. Man, good luck out there and hopefully we'll see ya again with a big muley buck to rival that bull!

fly741
Fawn
Fawn

Post by fly741 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:29 am

My Hike-ability depends on whether or not Bonehead ate his wheaties that morning!! Hey AGCHAWK, you still seeing some good bucks up there in the hights in Clarkston? I will be up there around Thanks giving to visit the inlaws.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:55 am

Man, can't ya get some all-terrain wheels for that thing?

Fly, I think I told ya already, my brother lives up there in the hieghts and he has a couple REALLY nice bucks that frequent his back yard every morning and evening. One is a really cool lookin' 3 point much like the big "three" that Brett posted. The other is a shooter 4X6 with a nice hook kicker on his left side. Man, I sure wish I could hunt his back yard! I'll see if he or I can get some pics and post them here.

I drew the Idaho Unit 11 CH tag for all of Nez Perce county from Lewiston down to the Salmon river this year (to include the Snake river breaks). I'll be hunting that area hard starting on the 10th. I'll let ya know how it goes (If you are familiar with the area then I am sure you know that there are a LOT of nice bucks in that region...from the Waha to the Salmon). I'm getting more and more excited as the days tick by too!

If I am in town during the Thanksgiving weekend I'll let ya know (I work in Western Washington and commute to Clarkston to see the wife and kids every other weekend). If we get a chance I'd like to meet ya in person.

fly741
Fawn
Fawn

Post by fly741 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

I get all turned around when I'm up there but I have seen some really nice bucks. My bro-inlaw took me around town last year and showed me all the resident bucks. Is your area on the golfcourse side of town? There were a couple of bucks on the property just past the golf course that I'm sure were 190-200 inch deer. Neat area.. if you happen to see me around town during the weekend of thanks giving stop me and say hello (i'm kinda hard to miss).

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:11 am

I believe I know exactly which bucks you are refering too. We see them a lot right there by the golf course while driving up Bryden Canyon road into Lewiston. You are right too, the biggest one will certainly break the 200 inch mark.

Yea, the area is basically from Lewiston to the Salmon River (Just follow the Snake River south). Having grown up in the area, I've always wanted to hunt it. We see some monster bucks in there all the time but it's strictly a controlled hunt/draw area for Mule deer. I finally got off my rear end and put in for the area this year for the first time...and lady luck was on my side...I drew on the first try.

Sure wish that the Bryden Canyon bucks were "outside" of town though...LOL

fly741
Fawn
Fawn

Post by fly741 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:33 am

Well good luck!! I can't wait to see pic's.