Montana District 300 Mule deer

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
phutch30
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Montana District 300 Mule deer

Post by phutch30 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:38 pm

Party hunting is illegal. I wasnt there and dont know the details but I am sure if they were doing that tickets were issued. Its a fine line between party hunting and tagging and elk that drops out of a herd even if the hunter doesnt think he shot at that one. Not sure about the legalities of tagging an elk you "find" already dead. It still wasnt the ranchers doing. The slobs he took out there were the ones breaking the law. The rancher was basically just giving access. I am amazed that any self respeckting hunter would want to be involved with this in any shape or form.

GKNUDSON
Spike
Spike

Post by GKNUDSON » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:19 pm

There obviously not to self respecting, this has been going on for years in the big hole. The ranchers complain about not getting enough depredation tags. Well, looks like this is how some of them make up for it.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:37 pm

You can get 2 elk tags in some areas,the second is always a cow tag.This kind of slauhter happens often here,every year in several places,the F&G dont care as long as every elk gets tagged.There arnt enough ranchers that give the public access and the ones that doe want a BUNCh of elk killed to keep them off their feed all winter.

northern
2 point
2 point

Post by northern » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:02 pm

NONYA wrote:You can get 2 elk tags in some areas,the second is always a cow tag.This kind of slauhter happens often here,every year in several places,the F&G dont care as long as every elk gets tagged.There arnt enough ranchers that give the public access and the ones that doe want a BUNCh of elk killed to keep them off their feed all winter.
Your right NONYA, the Owner of the ranch doesn't live there. The hired hand does and he wasn't allowing hunting.(he was after a 7x7 with archery). He did say that he would allow hunting on the 2nd week for archery hunters only. The owner showed up and seen the elk in the alphalfa and wasn't happy that the hired hand decided to not allow hunting. The owner was hoping that the elk might stay out of the pastures and fields after being shot at. ( I don't think that will work) For every elk that was seen die, there was a hunter waiting for it. Who knows how many got out to only dies some place else.? I can under stand how the owner felt. The FWP here don't want to help out with the cost of fencing, feed lost to wild game. All most every fence around there is missing the top 2 wires from elk.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:30 pm

Its his land,he can let in as many hunters as he wants,its up to each hunter to obey the law.Ill bet there were a buttload of young hunters who got their first elk and many empty freezers filled.As long as all the elk got recovered Im all for it.At least he owns land in an area with general tags,many ranchers dont and they have no outlet to control the elk numbers due to lack of tags,the F&G says they dont want to do damage hunts anymore but the elk numbers are exploding.