huniting Utah's Fillmore Pahvant area

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
deadeye53
Fawn
Fawn

huniting Utah's Fillmore Pahvant area

Post by deadeye53 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:54 pm

Just wondering if anyone has hunted for mule deer in the Fillmore, Pahvant area lately, particularly the Wildgoose Canyon area. If so, how was the hunting? I drew a Southern tag this year, and since it's been years since I've hunted Wildgoose, I was wondering if I should try it again.

Thanks, Brad

jjgreen
Fawn
Fawn

Re: huniting Utah's Fillmore Pahvant area

Post by jjgreen » Wed May 13, 2009 1:24 am

i hunt the pahvant but i have never been to that canyon but i can tell you if you have seen the bucks in there in the past they will still be there i spend alot of time in that range and the big bucks always go back to there same spot they just know how to hide alot better now days but if its anything like the area on the pahvant i hunt then i would hunt it i have never been let down on that mountain range. good luck

deadeye53
Fawn
Fawn

Post by deadeye53 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:58 pm

Hey thanks for the info. Wildgoose is pretty much directly East of Holden. Is that anywhere near where you hunt.

Thanks, Brad

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed May 13, 2009 5:17 pm

deadeye53,

Welcome to the Madness, best of luck with your hunt. Don't have experience with your area, how much has the Elk heard on the Pahvant hurt Mule Deer in your opinion?

deadeye53
Fawn
Fawn

Post by deadeye53 » Thu May 14, 2009 8:24 am

muley madness,

I'm not sure if the elk have affected the area I hunt. I haven't hunted there since 2003, and I didn't see any elk or any sign of elk during that hunt. In fact, I've never seen elk in that area of the Pahvant. Lots of lions, though.

Brad

olddenny
Fawn
Fawn

Post by olddenny » Sun May 24, 2009 3:08 pm

I just joined to reply to your question I though it would be fun. I love to hunt & I have hunted Pahvant since I was sixteen years old For (40) years I have seen the area go through bad times in late sixtys & early ninetys I have seen it at its best in the early eightys & late ninetys I have hunted all over the mountain the heards move to differnt canyons year to year you can always find a good buck there but you have to scout ahead of time to find where they are. In 2006 & 2007 the heards were pushed down to winter range early by bad weather the reports & campfire talk was 80% of the matuer bucks were harvested. In 2008 I could tell the it was true the lager bucks was not to be found but the seed is still there I seen a lot of yearling & small bucks give it a couple of years it will come back. Fillmore Pahvant has become very popular the is a lot of hunters there. I hope this helps you good luck olddenny!

deadeye53
Fawn
Fawn

Post by deadeye53 » Thu May 28, 2009 5:01 pm

olddenny, thanks for responding. I, too, have hunted that area a long time. First went there with my dad when I was 10 (45 years ago). Couldn't hunt until I was 16. Anyway, I moved to Colorado and haven't hunted there since 2003. Sorry to hear that most of the big bucks were shot in 2006-2007, since I drew a tag this year and plan on hunting the area. No matter, I love the area, deer or not. By the way, have you hunted the Wildgoose area? If so, we probably know each other.

Brad

olddenny
Fawn
Fawn

Post by olddenny » Thu May 28, 2009 8:05 pm

Brad Yes I have hunted wild goose the ridges to the west rim where becomes Indian Ranch & over to what they call the airport I chased a couple of great bucks when I was younger THEY KICKED MY BUTT the only way into there is the botton up. I am way to old to go there any more. I took 29" 180 class class buck not far from there in 2002 if some will show me how to post pics I will post it. if you like I wiil give more info on the area by privet if you like you probley dont want 200 hunters on top of you it is a big mountain I usuly Camp in wide canyon on the rifle hunt it has become a family spot for a long time we hunt on top for bow & muzzy. But one of my sons had a 27" 5x7 taken frome him three years ago & he wont hunt with us in that area any more :>/ but one sone likes the chalange to still get a buck and out smart 2,000 other hunters its is a great place to hunt there has just been a couple of bad things happen there. Brad ther are still some good bucks there just not as many. hope this helps olddenny

spike
Fawn
Fawn

Post by spike » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:20 am

Brad,

New to site & saw your post. I hunted that area 4 or 5 times a number of years ago and killed a couple of good bucks. Here's what I know.
Get on the road up the Pahvants. You'll pass Redview Ranger Station and keep going. Once you get on top if you look down to the left you will be looking towards Fillmore. There is a place named HELLHOLE, you should find it on your topo. Camp on top, hunt down into HELLHOLE and whatever surrounding area looks good.
WORD OF CAUTION - Do not wish to offend anyone but here are the facts. I have hunted the entire western US , Africa, Mexico, and Canada for over 30 years and, IN MY EXPERIENCE, I have never met a ruder, more arrogant, hateful group of hunters than Utah natives. The guys that I ran into (on SEVERAL OCCASIONS, over SEVERAL YEARS) purely and simply do not like out of state (particularly Calif) hunters.
They act as though they "own" the wildlife and that we are "stealing" from them. Be prepared.
Nuff Said. Email any questions.

GOOD HUNTING,
SPIKE